Frugal Friday

I decided to move my Thrifty Thursday posts and make them Frugal Fridays instead.  This way I could link up with Rebecca's blog.  Take a moment and go over and visit so you can more frugal tips as well.

Frugalness is basically second nature to me now, as I've been making due on one income for years, and a small one at that.  So I had to really think about what I do to make our dollars stretch.

I've done the following things this week.

$  Made my own salad dressing.  It's quick, easy, has no chemical perservatives and much cheaper.


$ Washed out numerous baggies and freezer bags.

$ Limit the use of the dishwasher for when we have company.  In the long run, it is cheaper to wash the dishes by hand.   When I do use the dishwasher, I open the door and let them air dry instead of running through the dry cycle.

$ Only wash full loads of laundry.

$ Made homemade stromboli.  Again, I know what's in it, it's cheaper and prettier too. :-)


$ I used spices that I had stored in the freezer.  I purchased them in bulk when they were on sale and they have kept fine in the freezer.

$  Stayed home to eat instead of going out and stayed out of stores, even thrift stores. I'm not a shopper so I'm really not tempted too much this way.  My feeling is that if you aren't in the store, you aren't tempted to buy!

$  Made tea totes and mug rugs (they aren't finished in this picture) out of fabric scraps.  It's a great way to use up the scraps.  I'll be putting them in my Etsy shop, as well as some of the craft fairs I go to.  Those I don't sell, make great gifts.


$ Used up all the leftovers instead of tossing them.  I hate wasting food!

$ When using jarred sauces (which I normally don't; I make my own), I always add a bit of hot water, put the lid back on and shake it up so I can get every bit of sauce out of the jar.  I do this with molasses too.

$ I made ziti a few weeks ago and made a larger than normal batch of sauce.  I froze it and reused it for our small group which meets here every other Wednesday.

$ Got the bulk of my groceries at Aldi which is generally the cheapest store around.

$ Purchased meat in bulk packs which was cheaper and came home and separated it into individual packages.

That's about all I can think of this week, mostly because it was one of those weeks when nothing much was going on.   Again, check out Rebecca's blog for more frugal ideas.

Comments

  1. Our local supermarket often has 3 items of meat for £10. I always buy the biggest and rebag it into portions for the freezer, so that I end up with maybe six items for £10!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, it's a great way of spinning it out! :)

      Delete
  2. Glad to have found your blog. I will read back through soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you mean about thriftiness being second nature. Sometimes come Friday I think about all the little things that so consume my day that I do in order to save money. It all makes a difference- but some of it sounds silly (and is time consuming to write!) when written down in list form! ;-)

    Love the little dollar signs. Too cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean, Rebecca, about sounding silly. But all those little things add up to one big savings! :-)

      Delete
  4. A woman after my own heart! :) I hope you're going to share your salad dressing recipe, Terri! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here you go Tina.

      Blend together in a food processor or blender:

      2 Tbsp. finely chopped onion
      1/3 cup sugar
      1/2 cup vinegar (any kind)
      1 1/2 tsp. salt
      1 1/2 tsp. celery seed
      1 1/2 tsp. dry mustard
      1 cup canola or vegetable oil

      You can cut the sugar if you would like. Tastes great!

      Delete
  5. That stromboli looks delicious! I'm with you on frugal being second nature. We've been one income our entire marriage. I think you really have to be in that situation to fully appreciate what lengths we go to sometimes to make those dollars stretch. lol

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love your comments and encouragement! I can't always respond back but do read each comment.

Popular posts from this blog

Choosing Not to Kick the Cat

Oh What to Do; I'm Sixty-Two!

Eating to Live