Wednesday Words of Encouragement

Romans 10:12-15 (NIV) ~

For there is no difference between Jew and Gentile—the same Lord is Lord of all and richly blesses all who call on him, for, “Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.”
How, then, can they call on the one they have not believed in? And how can they believe in the one of whom they have not heard? And how can they hear without someone preaching to them? And how can anyone preach unless they are sent? As it is written: “How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news!"

Our church has a little library area, which is full of donated books.  I was browsing through them one day when I came across a whole series about the lives of different missionaries from our denomination.  I had read a couple of these throughout the years, but not all of them, so I decided I wanted to read through the entire series.  It's been fun because I recognize some of the names and in fact, in a couple of the later books, I went to school with a couple of the missionaries and knew them well.

It has been encouraging to me to see how God uses each one, even though they are all gifted in different ways.  Some had the gifts of teaching, others helps, still others administration.  But one thing is common among them all.  They have a desire for people to know the love and saving power of Jesus Christ.  And because of that desire, they were willing to endure terrible hardship and at times, persecution and separation from family.

The verses I reference in Romans should be our commission to reach our neighborhoods, communities and world for Christ.  But, I fear, that the American church has gotten quite complacent about that.  Our biggest concern is for our own convenience and comfort.  We talk a good game, as long as it doesn't interfere with what we hold near and dear.

How will people hear the Good News of Christ if....

* We are too tired to invite anyone over because we worked hard all day?

* We can't associate with that type of person?

* I have plans that I don't want to change?

* I'm too embarrassed or fearful to open my mouth?

* I can't miss my favorite show?

* I want to hide away in my nice comfortable home?

My encouragement to you today is to read through these verses again.  Pray over them.  Ask God to give you a conviction and renewed desire to reach out to those around you.  Show the love of Christ to your friends, family, neighbors, and coworkers.  But don't just show it, TELL them.

Go out and be beautiful feet to a lost world.

Comments