Frugal Friday

Cha-ching!

I sat down and went through our checkbook and entered the amounts into appropriate categories on a spreadsheet and ugh!

What a lot of wasted spending.  On stupid stuff.  I truly am frugal in so many ways.  I don't buy clothes.  I make everything from scratch.  We rent movies from the library.  We don't buy books, magazines, etc.  But I still find our money trickling out in stupid little ways; mostly food related.  It is trickling out in $3-$10 increments.  $3 for coffee.  $10 for snacks.  $5 for this and $4 for that.

And when I get busy I tend to say to Dan, "Let's order a pizza."  "Let's pick-up McDonalds."  For example, I've had a few speaking engagements the past couple of weeks and instead of planning ahead and putting something in the crockpot, I'll not plan anything.  Then by the time I get home, I'm wiped out and that's when the trickling of our money starts.

Dan usually handles all the finances and of course, he never says "No" to me.  So I actually asked him today if I could start doing the checkbook and writing the bills just so reality will smack me in the face the next time I want to spend money on fast food. 

Okay, the self-loathing is over and I'm ready to get busy.

Ways I saved this week:

$ Planted lettuce, spinach, swiss chard, and kohlrabi this week.  We live in such a cold climate that I'm really going to have to wait until after Memorial Day for the rest as tempting as it is to plant.

$ Other than the one night; did not eat out!

$ Walked and am trying to get in shape to stay away from the doctor. ;-)

$ Redecorated our sunroom, using curtains I've had since we first got married 26 years ago.  I've always kept the curtains from various homes stored away nicely so that I have them to use.  These curtains were expensive at the time but very good quality and have actually lasted for years and look as good as when I first bought them.

This month I took Rebecca up on her challenge to use it up and make due.  I'm modifying a bit and using the items in my freezer and pantry without purchasing more.  The only thing I will get is dairy, fruit and veggies because I have none of that in stock and some people here would revolt! lol

This past week we had....

Sunday - kielbasa, potatoes and carrots, homemade biscuits
Monday - Chili made with ground buffalo meat, salad.
Tuesday - Broiled chicken, baked potatoes, salad
Wednesday - We were at Emily's track meet until late so Dan & I did grab a bite out. 
Thursday - Tuna salad (hence the grocery shopping for veggies today because I had zero in the house!)
Friday - Leftovers
Saturday - (Celebration meal because my middle son will be home from college).  Pork roast, mashed potatoes and gravy, steamed carrots, homemade biscuits, apple pie

Go visit Rebecca's blog for more inspiration!

Comments

  1. Replies
    1. I liked it! I did mask it with chili though. lol Happy Mother's Day weekend, Elaine!

      Delete
  2. My money dribbles out on small things too. Reading blogs like yours and Rebecca's inspires me to keep trying harder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Theresa. Whenever I'm in need of inspiration I'll go read Rebecca's blog or others that are like that too. :-) Have a great mother's day weekend!

      Delete
  3. Eating out can be our downfall, too. It's so pricey for us to eat a convenience meal even if it's just from the store and not fast food. But, even if my husband and I just get drinks or snacks it does trickle out. It always seems like we need something little when there's extra money and all the little thinks add up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Courtney. I find even running the grocery store to pick up some convenience food, while still cheaper than fast foo, adds up very quickly.

      Delete
  4. Who can resist half priced fraps at Starbucks? Yah - coffee and snacks and long drives is what our money is kind of "wasted" on. However, it's kind of our one thing that we really enjoy doing all together (my boys have special needs.) It's just nice to get in the car, listen to music...look at scenery - get a coffee or stop for a snack off a dollar menu. I want to get better at packing fun snacks though and also looking up coupon deals before we go out because I'm not ready to give it up completely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm...I had just typed a long post and it disappeared. I'm actually thankful that I dislike Starbucks because they are so, so pricey. Dunkin Donuts is my favorite!

      Delete
  5. It's not eating out that troubles me. It's that while I will really clamp down and not spend in other areas, I 'allow' the splurge of a few dollars here and there for extra, unnecessary grocery items. Very very mindful of that this week. I've challenged myself to stop that increased spending and see what I can afford that I truly do need, like shorts and sandals for summer, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely is a challenge, Terri. I know that there is always room for improvement so I try not to let it discourage me but just be aware of it and keep plugging away!

      Delete
  6. What if you set aside a certain amount of dollars in an envelope just for coffee and snacks. Give it up completely and you'll beat yourself up every time you give in. Give yourself a pittance for the treat and stop when those pennies are gone- and you'll have saved yourself the money without feeling the sacrifice!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love your comments and encouragement! I can't always respond back but do read each comment.

Popular posts from this blog

Choosing Not to Kick the Cat

Oh What to Do; I'm Sixty-Two!

Eating to Live