Friday, May 9, 2014

Frugal Friday

Cha-ching!

I sat down and went through our checkbook and entered the amounts into appropriate categories on a spreadsheet and ugh!

What a lot of wasted spending.  On stupid stuff.  I truly am frugal in so many ways.  I don't buy clothes.  I make everything from scratch.  We rent movies from the library.  We don't buy books, magazines, etc.  But I still find our money trickling out in stupid little ways; mostly food related.  It is trickling out in $3-$10 increments.  $3 for coffee.  $10 for snacks.  $5 for this and $4 for that.

And when I get busy I tend to say to Dan, "Let's order a pizza."  "Let's pick-up McDonalds."  For example, I've had a few speaking engagements the past couple of weeks and instead of planning ahead and putting something in the crockpot, I'll not plan anything.  Then by the time I get home, I'm wiped out and that's when the trickling of our money starts.

Dan usually handles all the finances and of course, he never says "No" to me.  So I actually asked him today if I could start doing the checkbook and writing the bills just so reality will smack me in the face the next time I want to spend money on fast food. 

Okay, the self-loathing is over and I'm ready to get busy.

Ways I saved this week:

$ Planted lettuce, spinach, swiss chard, and kohlrabi this week.  We live in such a cold climate that I'm really going to have to wait until after Memorial Day for the rest as tempting as it is to plant.

$ Other than the one night; did not eat out!

$ Walked and am trying to get in shape to stay away from the doctor. ;-)

$ Redecorated our sunroom, using curtains I've had since we first got married 26 years ago.  I've always kept the curtains from various homes stored away nicely so that I have them to use.  These curtains were expensive at the time but very good quality and have actually lasted for years and look as good as when I first bought them.

This month I took Rebecca up on her challenge to use it up and make due.  I'm modifying a bit and using the items in my freezer and pantry without purchasing more.  The only thing I will get is dairy, fruit and veggies because I have none of that in stock and some people here would revolt! lol

This past week we had....

Sunday - kielbasa, potatoes and carrots, homemade biscuits
Monday - Chili made with ground buffalo meat, salad.
Tuesday - Broiled chicken, baked potatoes, salad
Wednesday - We were at Emily's track meet until late so Dan & I did grab a bite out. 
Thursday - Tuna salad (hence the grocery shopping for veggies today because I had zero in the house!)
Friday - Leftovers
Saturday - (Celebration meal because my middle son will be home from college).  Pork roast, mashed potatoes and gravy, steamed carrots, homemade biscuits, apple pie

Go visit Rebecca's blog for more inspiration!