Frugal Friday

 
Elise Boulding ~
 
“Frugality is one of the most beautiful and joyful words in the English language, and yet one that we are culturally cut off from understanding and enjoying. The consumption society has made us feel that happiness lies in having things, and has failed to teach us the happiness of not having things.”  
 
I stumbled across the quote above and thought I'd share it today.  It truly is a joyful thing to learn to live within your means and be content.  But that only comes by learning to be satisfied with what you have and not looking to things to bring happiness.
 
You can be thrifty and yet, still be discontent.  It's not just about saving money.  It's an attitude of the heart.  I knew someone who went to tag sale after tag sale and dickered the price of everything.  But she used shopping to fill a void in her life.  She would think she was being frugal but constantly was collecting things to bring happiness.
 

 
Contentment is learning to take your eyes off what others have.  Stop comparing your home, your husband, your children and your life to another's.  Everyone has different circumstances and God knows perfectly what you need.  When we can learn to stop comparing, we will learn the joy of peace and contentment.
 

This week wasn't over the top great in the savings department but here are some ways I saved...

$ Purchased pears at a local farm market that were starting to get too ripe.  They were $1.50 for a basket of 11.  I turned them into pear jam.

$ Our neighbor gave us strawberries and I turned those into strawberry jam.

$ Someone told me about an online company for bags.  I found drawstring organza bags on clearance for $1.65 for 10 of them so I stocked up for my soaps.  In the store, the cheapest I've found them is $.43 per bag so that was a great deal.

$ Instead of spending a lot of money on stickers, I purchased cardstock to make my own labels.

$ I sold a number of items at the farmer's market.

$ Cut Dan and Nathan's hair.

$ I'm making curtains for the local antique shop that carries my items and rather than have her pay me, I asked if I could apply it for the cost of my spot there.  So I'm paid up through the end of this year.

$ Purchased a basket of cucumbers (about 7) for $1.50.

$ A friend brought us raspberry plants and I planted those so I'll have raspberries next year.

and finally....

$ Followed the principal, "Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without!"  :-)

How did you do this week?  Please feel free to share ways you were frugal or saved money.   The only thing I ask is you link back here so others can be encouraged and only link to the specific post on frugality, not your entire blog.  Thanks!  Have a great week.

Comments

  1. Thanks for the reminder today. I get tired of people(family) telling me to spend more. I am content and do not believe my kids are suffering because we cannot afford to go on a vacation....."to make memories". People really have no problem going into debt to make themselves feel(however fleeting) happy. I am trying to pay off debt and be content.
    I needed to read this post. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And that's exactly the problem, Theresa. People live beyond their means and don't understand when someone doesn't. I don't have family that says these things to me but I do have to remind myself to be content! :-)

      Delete

Post a Comment

I love your comments and encouragement! I can't always respond back but do read each comment.