Wednesday Words of Encouragement

I Corinthians 7:17,24. ~

"Nevertheless, each one should retain the place in life that the Lord assigned to him and to which God has called him...Brothers, each man, as responsible to God, should remain in the situation God called him to."

If only my children acted like Sue’s children, then I could be patient.  If my husband was like Jane’s then my marriage would be great!  If I had a job that paid more then I could be relaxed like Jennifer.  If my situation would change, then I would be able to trust God.


Do you fall into this trap at times?  Do you wish things were different in your life?   Do you think that if your situation were different, then you would be different?  Are there days when you want to give up?  Are you in a situation that you wish would change?  

I think we all experience this from time to time.  Yet, the Lord wants us to be content with the circumstances and situations that He has allowed in our lives.  He wants us to rely on Him no matter what is happening.  He wants us to live for Him no matter what our husband, children, job, financial situation, or other situation is like.

Contentment is a choice.  When I choose to be dissatisfied and upset about my life circumstances, I have a tremendous amount of stress.  That stress then just continues the cycle of depression, anger, resentment, and sinfulness.  When I deliberately choose to be content, I feel at peace. 

Contentment comes from trusting God.  God has things in control.  He has a plan for your life.  He is working all things out for your good.  When I choose contentment, I am saying that I trust God.  I’m putting my life in His hands and letting Him do what He wills.  I am not trusting in God if I believe that things have to be going well first.  Trust happens by following Him when I can’t see the end result.   Trust is following Him in the darkness and when things look hopeless.

As you go through your week, remember to thank the Lord for your circumstances. Instead of looking at them with discontent, praise God for allowing you to grow through them.  Take it one minute at a time and one hour at a time and one day at a time.

Comments

  1. Oh so timely! Thank you so much for your wise words, Terri! Mind if I print this off for my journal? xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, how I needed this reminder this morning....thank you....

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great reminder. "Contentment" is MY choice. It sure helps my day go better when I remember these kind of things.

    Debbi

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am back. I just read my "Jesus Calling" devotional and found a similar writing in it. It talks about having "a mind-set that will protect me you from scattering you energy to the winds". It reminds me that every day I am faced with choices but I need to keep Him as my focal point. "You inhabit a fallen, disjointed world, where things are constantly unraveling around the edges. Only a vibrant realtionship with Me cam keep you from coming unravled too." (Qoute from the devotional) This is one of those morning where God is really speaking to me in several different ways. I think I will put your post in my journal too. Thanks.

    Debbi

    ReplyDelete
  5. I popped over from a link on quiethome (Tina) - thanks for these thoughts. A very good reminder!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love your comments and encouragement! I can't always respond back but do read each comment.

Popular posts from this blog

Choosing Not to Kick the Cat

Oh What to Do; I'm Sixty-Two!

Eating to Live