Great Gain


I Timothy 6:6-8 (MSG) ~

A devout life does bring wealth, but it’s the rich simplicity of being yourself before God. Since we entered the world penniless and will leave it penniless, if we have bread on the table and shoes on our feet, that’s enough.

Yesterday, as I was busy in my kitchen, I had plenty of opportunity to reflect on things.  One of the things I thought about was the feeling of contentment I have in my life. 

I really have been enjoying the simple things in my life and not having to pursue material things.  I've seen how the constant desire to acquire things and money can leave people empty and dissatisfied.  It's this constant hunger for more that never really fills a void.  For some, it's a never ending quest for wealth and possessions.

Yet, there truly is no contentment in that because enough is never enough.  The more you have, the more you want. 

I'm enjoying my simple life and the beauty of contentment.

I enjoy the satisfaction of a job well done.



The enjoyment that comes from watching wildlife.


The simple beauty of daisies pushing their way through my deck.


I enjoy seeing the colors of jewels in a jar.


I love creating things with my hands.

 
There is satisfaction in nursing my daughter back to health or sending my son a text to see how his day is going.  I find contentment in preparing meals for my family or packing Nathan's dinner so I know he's eating healthy.  There is even a sense of peace and contentment in my middle of the night postings because I can't sleep.
 
If you can find enjoyment in the simple things in life, contentment will follow.  If you can learn to be satisfied with what you have, there won't be the constant need to strive for what is unattainable.  Joy comes in discovering that God is enough.
 
And finally, as verse 6 above states in the New International Version - "Godliness with contentment is great gain."
 
I feel rich, not because I have material things.  I AM rich because I am content with the things God is doing in my life and with what I have.  That is the thing that gives me satisfaction.

Comments