Multitude Monday


I overslept this morning and I woke up feeling like a truck has hit me.  My head is aching, my arm hurts and every muscle is sore.  I don't even know why I feel this way as I'm not sick.  I had multiple, intense dreams all night so I have a feeling that I really didn't get the solid, deep sleep I need. 

Whatever the reason, it certainly leads to a very sour attitude in me.  I feel like a grouch.  I want to snap at everyone who even walks into the room.  But then I was reminded of the verses found in Luke's gospel.

Luke 2:8-11 ~

And there were shepherds living out in the fields nearby, keeping watch over their flocks at night. An angel of the Lord appeared to them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were terrified. But the angel said to them, “Do not be afraid. I bring you good news that will cause great joy for all the people. Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is the Messiah, the Lord.

The shepherds were up in the middle of the night, working.  I'm pretty sure they were cold, dirty, and not particularly feeling joyful.  Then the angel appeared to them with the news that would change history.  This news would bring them joy.  This news was something that they had anticipated all their lives.

And here I am, on the other side of 2,000 years and I know the end of that story.  I know that Jesus died on that cross and rose again.  I have the gift of the Holy Spirit in my life.  And that is the reason I can give thanks even in the middle of unpleasant physical symptoms and bad days.

Because HE lives, I can face tomorrow.  That knowledge is the reason I count.

This week I'm thankful for blessings #2316 - 2330

2316.  A generous and unexpected gift from our church yesterday.

2317.  Emily's first party was a success and she was so sweet about it.  During the evening she came up to me, threw her arms around me and said, "Thank you for letting me have a party."


2318.  Dan has had to have a EKG, stress test and has worn a heart monitor for a week after experiencing chest pains.  Everything came out fine.

2319.  Stephen is home from college.

2320.  Ginger, cloves, nutmeg and cinnamon.  All the wonderful spices of the season.


2321.  Unexpected sales.

2322.  Children.  We went from having no children in church when we moved here a year ago to about 6-8 that come on a regular basis.

2323.  A year of ministry in a new church and community.

2324.  A local coffee shop that has turned into a blessing.  As a vendor there I've had wonderful sales in the two weeks they've been open.

2325.  Bread, cheese and pepperoni all wrapped up into a delicious meal.


2326.  Getting all my packages in the mail.

2327.  Stephen connecting with a friend while he is home.

2328.  Two weeks off school for Emily.

2329.  Christmas lights.


and finally...

2330.  Turning an attitude of grumpiness into an attitude of joy.

Why do I do this exercise every week?  Because it is when you count your blessings that you do find joy.  When you look at God's hand in every thing in your life, even the silly little things, you start to see how blessed you are.  When you count your blessings, you will see what God has done. 

And how can you be cranky after that?

Comments

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks, Jan. I hope you have a Merry Christmas!

      Delete
  2. Hope you get a chance to rest during the holidays, Terri. Wishing you all a peaceful and blessed time. Thank you for all your inspiring and encouraging posts during 2014. Much love, Tina xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the encouragement, Tina. Merry Christmas to you!

      Delete
  3. A beauatiful post, Terri. I wish you a Merry Christmas and a Blessed New Year. Love you!

    Debbi

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love your comments and encouragement! I can't always respond back but do read each comment.

Popular posts from this blog

Choosing Not to Kick the Cat

Oh What to Do; I'm Sixty-Two!

Eating to Live