Wednesday Words of Encouragement

Psalm 116:15 ~

The Lord cares deeply
    when his loved ones die.


Revelation 21:1-4 (NLT) ~

Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the old heaven and the old earth had disappeared. And the sea was also gone. And I saw the holy city, the new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven like a bride beautifully dressed for her husband.

I heard a loud shout from the throne, saying, “Look, God’s home is now among his people! He will live with them, and they will be his people. God himself will be with them.  He will wipe every tear from their eyes, and there will be no more death or sorrow or crying or pain. All these things are gone forever.”

I had a terrible night of sleep as I tossed and turned most of the night.  My heart is broken for a friend who tragically lost her husband in a car accident yesterday afternoon.  He was a fellow pastor in our district and one of the nicest people you could ever meet.  I also learned yesterday that an older man who was a fixture at our district camp had a heart attack and passed away.

My heart hurts for the loss.  I shed tears for my friend who has to live with a new normal without her husband.  It's hard when there is so much suffering and loss in this world.  Yet, both of these men were strong believers.  They lived their lives for Christ.  They are no longer suffering and I know where they are today.  But those who are left behind will miss them and must go through the long months of grieving.

I find comfort in these verses today.  God sees the death of His people and He cares deeply for them.  He comforts those whose lives are torn apart by unexpected tragedy.  He knows our hurt and sadness.  But the wonderful news is ultimately, one day, there will be no more sadness.  No more struggles.  No more tears and grief.  When Christ returns and establishes His reign, all the pain will be erased.  We won't remember the sadness.

That will be a day of rejoicing.

Comments

  1. I remember my uncle quoting Psalms 116:15 as we stood around my mother's hospital bed the night she died. It is such a comfort to know that we are so precious to God that He is deeply moved by our deaths and that He is with us when we lose our loved ones. God Bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Terri! I have to tell you that I was kind of intrigued to see what a blog was like, that was 4 or 5 yrs. ago when a lady from the church I was attending gave me the link to your blog. She I believe had attended a retreat that you were at also. I began following your blog and almost daily check in to see what you have to say or what you have learned from your daily walk with the Lord. Thank you for being "SO" transparent to share what God would have you that can help others; too bad that there isn't that comfort in the" church community" to do that more> Anyway I appreciate you and my little time away reading your blog and soaking some of the thoughts you share. God Bless You and Your Family!! Love Because of Jesus - Sandy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing how you started reading here, Sandy. I appreciate the encouragement!

      Delete

Post a Comment

I love your comments and encouragement! I can't always respond back but do read each comment.