Joy in the Mundane

I used to live my life for the big, exciting moments.  Nothing thrilled my heart more than to have an adventure.  I still love new and exciting things.  I still enjoy the unexpected.  But I'm learning to find joy in the small, mundane every day things of life.

My blog is a mixture of things in my life.  Sometimes it's something I'm learning from God's word.  Other times it's about family or frugal things.  And sometimes it's on the every day occurrences.  Often, I'll get ready to do a blog post on something routine about my day and then I'll think, "Why am I even posting this?"  "Who really cares about my bread or sewing or every day life?"  But then I remember how inspired I felt by reading the blogs of others who found beauty and joy in every day life.

Because that is what much of life is about, isn't it?  It's not one big exciting event after another.  It's not some motivating, inspirational story.  Life is generally not a novel or action/adventure movie.  Life is getting up, going to work, paying your bills, buying groceries, cleaning your house and then starting it all over again 24 hours later.

But there is beauty in that if you look for it.  The beauty is in the joy and satisfaction you can feel in knowing you've done your very best that day.  Your best for your family, your friends and the Lord.  There is beauty to be found in your reactions to the trials you face.  Some will be tiny nuisances and others will be giants.  Yet, it's how we walk our Christian talk that matters.

Yesterday, I found joy in my mundane.

Baking bread.


Cleaning bathrooms.

Making valances for my living room windows.



Catching drips from a leaky ceiling.  The joy there was not the drips but that I managed to handle it without flipping out!  ;-)

Doing laundry.

Writing notes.

The smell of a French vanilla candle, made with my own hands.


There was joy in spending countless hours making nourishing, frugal meals for my family.

And finally, the joy at the end of the day as I fell into bed tired, but satisfied.

Find the joy in your mundane.  Trust me; you will be content!
 

Comments

  1. I really enjoy the mundane things as well - and it really inspires me when others share those kind of things too. I think it helps make us more real. I love the valances that you are making - they are beautiful!
    Lisa :O)

    ReplyDelete
  2. For years, I found joy in doing the mundane things both at home and working to support my family. I reaped hours of satisfaction in knowing that I was doing the very best job that I could for my employer, and also in doing the very best job I could in raising my family and providing for them.

    I spent hours doing all the chores that needed to be done, baked and cooked to give my family nutritious meals and like you went to bed satisfied that I did the very best that I could. Of course, in my days, we didn't have fb or blogs that we could post things to and be encouraged by my friends. I had to get my satisfaction from my own inner knowledge that I did everything to the very best of my ability and get my affirmation from the God that created me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for all you did for us, Mom! You taught me the value of hard work and putting family first. :-) (((((HUGS)))))!

      Delete

Post a Comment

I love your comments and encouragement! I can't always respond back but do read each comment.

Popular posts from this blog

Choosing Not to Kick the Cat

Oh What to Do; I'm Sixty-Two!

Eating to Live