Wednesday Words of Encouragement

Ephesians 5:6-16 (NIV) ~

Let no one deceive you with empty words, for because of such things God’s wrath comes on those who are disobedient. Therefore do not be partners with them.

For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Live as children of light (for the fruit of the light consists in all goodness, righteousness and truth) and find out what pleases the Lord. Have nothing to do with the fruitless deeds of darkness, but rather expose them. It is shameful even to mention what the disobedient do in secret. But everything exposed by the light becomes visible—and everything that is illuminated becomes a light.

This is why it is said:

“Wake up, sleeper,
    rise from the dead,
    and Christ will shine on you.”


Be very careful, then, how you live—not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil.

Christmas day came and I finally had the big gift in my hands. I had stared at it eagerly as it sat under the tree because it was addressed to me!  As I ripped open the packaging a thousand ideas about the contents went through my head.  I tore off the paper and a gasp came from my mouth.  It was a hanging chandelier for our dining room. 

We have lived here for a year, using just a little table lamp in that room.  I have to say I was happily surprised, especially when I found a few people from church were in on the secret and had helped by rewiring it to make it useable for the parsonage and wrapping it so Dan could keep it hidden from me. 

Dan put it up for me that afternoon and the room flooded with light.  What a wonderful thing after a year of being fairly dark all the time.  However, as my eyes wandered around the room, I began to see some things I missed.  Cobwebs in the corners, a dirt spot on the carpet was illuminated and a few dingy spots on the walls.  Yikes!  The bright light was certainly showing some things that had been hidden.  My decorating skills were being upstaged by my housekeeping, or in this case, lack of it!

The same is true of our walk with the Lord.  We are to walk in the light and yet often we live as if we were still in darkness.  We want to keep one foot in the world and one foot out.  We hang on to those bad habits, attitudes and sins that we had when we didn’t know Christ.

Let the light of Christ illuminate you and then clean up those dirty spots.  Don’t keep walking in the paths of darkness.  We all have sin we struggle with but if we allow God to light us up, He can reveal those things in us and give us the tools to change.   Yet, if we cling to the old ways then I’m afraid we are still surrounded by darkness.
 
Turn on the lights.  It may be painful at first when you see how much needs to be cleaned, but if you allow the Lord to work, He will make your life bright!

Comments

Post a Comment

I love your comments and encouragement! I can't always respond back but do read each comment.