Wednesday Words of Encouragement

Hebrews 10:23 ~ 

"Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for he who promised is faithful."

Sweat poured from my brow.  Arms and legs trembled uncontrollably.  Fear gripped me as I clung to the face of the cliff.  What had been an enjoyable day of rock climbing for the first time with college friends had turned into a nightmare as I had unwittingly drifted to a part of the cliff that was meant for expert climbers.  At over 100 feet in the air I was terrified of falling.


Finally, my body could not hold on any longer and I had to let go.  I fell, but only about a foot because of the rope that was attached to my body and the cliff face.  I was frightened and shaken, but safe.  That rope was my lifeline which kept me from falling and seriously injuring myself, or even plunging to my death.

If I had trusted the rope, knowing I wouldn’t fall, I could have rested a bit before it got to the point that it was impossible to hold on.  However, I was afraid and didn’t believe what my friends tried to tell me. 

God is our lifeline as well.  His promises are the thing we can cling to that will keep us safe.  Yet, how often do we doubt Him?  Do you wonder if God will really do what He says? Are you fearful that He won’t be there when you need Him?   Do you waiver in your faith?  Do you rely on your own strength?

It’s easy for that to happen, especially if we don’t see answers to our questions and concerns right away. I know that there have been times when I start to waiver in my own faith.  I know God’s promises.  I’ve seen Him act time and time again, yet there are times when I still feel afraid.  There are times when I try to do solve things with my own strength. 

This verse gives us assurance that the Lord is faithful. If He promises something, He will do it.  We need to cling to the lifeline that He gives us.  We need trust His promises and keep our eyes fixed on Him. 

He is faithful.  He will not let us fall.  He will do what He says.   

Our part is to trust and hold tightly to our hope in Christ!

Comments