Sharing Some Recipes

 
I was in the mood for something different yesterday and came up with this recipe.  There are hundreds of recipes for navy bean soup, but rather than follow one of those I made it up as I went along.  It was delicious and everyone when back for seconds.  So I thought I'd share it here.

I used dried navy beans and cooked them for most of the day in the crockpot until they were tender.  You can use canned navy beans if you prefer.

Navy Bean Soup

4 cups of cooked navy beans
1 small onion, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 stalk of celery, chopped
3 carrots, peeled and chopped
3 cups of baby kale
5 strips of bacon, chopped
Water or chicken stock
1 teaspoon parsley flakes
1/2 teaspoon basil
salt & pepper to taste
Shredded parmesan cheese

Sauté the veggies and bacon in about 1 Tbsp. olive oil until the bacon is crisp and the vegetables are translucent.  Add the beans, seasoning and enough water to cover the beans.  Simmer for 30 minutes are so or until the vegetables are done.

Ladle into bowls, add cheese and a sprinkle of nutmeg.


Each Wednesday night we host a small group here and generally, have some sort of dessert.  Last night I made peach crisp and again, it turned out so good.  I don't really have a recipe for this and just throw it together and yet, it always turns out delicious. 

Peach Crisp

4 cups of diced peaches
1/4 cup of brown sugar
1/4 cup flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon

Mix all those ingredients together in a 9 x 13" baking dish.

In a separate bowl mix together until crumbly:

1 1/4 cups of rolled oats
1/4 cup flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 cup melted butter

Sprinkle on top of the peaches.  Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes or until the top is brown.

Enjoy!

Comments

  1. I love the idea of the peach dessert Terri. We are just seeing fresh peaches in the shops now...though they are not the same as the ones sold by the roadside in France!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just found you blog and love it. Since I have a big bowl of peaches sitting right next to me guess what I will be making today! :) Hubby's favorite desert is peach cobbler so I am guessing he will be thrilled with this new recipe. Thanks ever so much for printing this recipe for us. Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and commenting, Sarah. I think you'll like the recipe. It's one of our favorites around here. Have a wonderful day!

      Delete

Post a Comment

I love your comments and encouragement! I can't always respond back but do read each comment.