To Blog or Not to Blog

A friend shared an article on Facebook yesterday and you can find it here.  This link triggered a discussion on why people continue to blog or have given it up or at least, greatly curtailed their blogging.  My initial response was yes, blogging does keep me from really focusing on working on my book writing. 

But then as I thought about it, I don't think it's blogging but more of social media, such as Facebook that limits my time.  I spend a bit of time each day writing a blog post.  Once it's posted, the only other thing I do is come back and read comments as they come up.  Facebook, on the other hand, is unending and easier to spend tons of time there.  So if I want more time to write, the obvious thing to go would be Facebook.

I do find that I have less time to read other's blogs and that is because I'm busier in my 3D life. :-)  So I find myself limiting my reading to those bloggers who actually respond to me or comment on mine.  To me, blogging has a social component and if I never get a response to what I write, what is the point of writing?  I also appreciate the people who do read my blog and take the time to leave comments so even though I don't always have the time to do it, I do try to respond to each and every comment from time to time.

The more I mulled over it, the more I decided I will continue to blog.  These are the reasons.

1. I love to write and it doesn't matter to me what form that writing happens. This venue provides me with much opportunity to get my words out.  People are reading and commenting.  I've gotten responses from hundreds of ladies throughout the years that they have come away encouraged from my blog posts.  That is my goal!

2. I started this blog as an online journal to leave a bit of myself behind for my children.  It's so easy to buzz through life without recording some of those special moments and I love that not only are my words written down but I have beautiful photographs to go with them.  The blog has changed a bit as my children have gotten older and don't like getting their pictures taken as much.  But they can read and know who I am, deep down inside, by reading.  I truly want to continue that.

3. I've met so many wonderful people throughout the years from all over the world.  We have corresponded via email, mail and phone.  We have exchanged gifts and prayers.  My life is richer for having known some of you and I wouldn't change that for the world.

4.  I love the exchange of ideas that has happened through writing and reading blogs.  I learned how to make numerous things such as sauerkraut and soap.  I've been encouraged in raising my children and in my spiritual walk, as well as a host of other things.

5.  I love God's word and being able to what I have learned from my own experiences, joys and struggles.  This provides that way for me.

I'm not well-known and I don't want to be a super-star.  I have no desire to be on the NY Times Bestseller list.  I live a simple life.  I don't have grandiose goals.  I truly just love writing and blogging helps me hone my craft.  I would love to write another book and my goal is to do that but for now, I'm content with blogging.

So to answer the question, "To blog or not to blog?"  I will continue!

Comments

  1. I"M GLAD!!!!! I am not on Facebook and do not have a a blog. I do not think I would have time to blog myself. I do enjoy reading other blogs and do comment on most of them. I have a few special blogs where I have got to know the author and their family so well that I feel like I know them. Yours is one of those blogs and one of my favorites. I'm glad you will continue to blog.
    God bless, Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel the same way about you Kathy. You have been such an encouragement to me throughout the years!

      Delete
  2. Hi Terri - I admire your ability to be faithful to blogging every day. I tend to go in "fits and starts" with mine, but you are always there with wisdom or humor for the day. I'm glad you've decided to keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably more humor than wisdom! Lol. Thanks for the encouragement, Robin!

      Delete
  3. A question I have asked myself often. I use to blog all the time, now I mainly share photos through Instagram...only because it is so quick and simple. Every now and then I still put up a post, so I'm not gone completely yet...lol ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your garden posts, Nadine. Mostly because I'm jealous and wish mine looked like that! lol

      Delete
  4. I always enjoy my visits to you Terri. I find that I leave it longer between writing posts now. Sometimes I feel that I dont have much new to say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are one of the first people to ever comment on my blog, Barbara! I know what you mean about not having anything new to say. I often feel like that.

      Delete

Post a Comment

I love your comments and encouragement! I can't always respond back but do read each comment.