Growing Trees


When our children were babies, we stood before our congregation and dedicated each of them to the Lord.  We took a vow, saying we would do our best as parents to raise children in a Godly environment and teach them about the Lord.

There have been days when they were growing up that caused me to pause and wonder if I was doing a good job at all.  Even now, I'll have days of exasperation, doubt and worry.  But overall, I think my children are on the right track and are growing in their own faith.

Nathan recently joined our church of his own volition.  I've seen a desire come over him to learn God's word and grow spiritually.  He has been pretty motivated, despite having multiple learning disabilities and reads at a low level.  They changed his schedule at work and he has been happy, mainly because it meant he could come to church. 


Stephen is on fire for the Lord right now.  One of the things that I've always prayed is that at least one of my children, if not all, would feel led to follow our footsteps into full-time ministry.  Steve is studying to be a pastor and is entering his junior year at college.  It's taking him a little longer because he switched majors so he has to take some extra classes he didn't anticipate.  He is so enthusiastic about serving God and I know some people think he is a little over the top in talking about God, but shouldn't all Christians be that passionate about our faith? ;-) 


Emily is still in high school and it can be difficult at times as she navigates the muddy waters of peer pressure and being in an environment that isn't always positive nor Godly.  But she is growing and maturing and we can see God working in her life too.  She is open and talks to us about the things she faces and it has provided us with wonderful opportunities to discuss how to handle various situations in her life.  Sometimes I worry about her, but then I'll see her Bible on her pillow where she left it after she read it so I know she is developing her own walk with the Lord.


My children aren't perfect and trust me, they make mistakes and sometimes handle situations in the wrong way, but they are growing in their faith.  God is honoring that vow we took so many years ago.  He is working in our children's lives despite our mistakes as parents.

My little shoots are developing into strong trees.
 

Psalm 1:3 (HCSB) ~
 
He (the one who follows the Lord) is like a tree planted beside streams of water
that bears its fruit in season
and whose leaf does not wither.
Whatever he does prospers.

Comments

  1. It is not easy being a Christian in this world today. You have raised your children right, Terri. It was so good to read this post today. I'm proud of your children too! We raised our children in the Christian way too. Sometimes it has been hard for them, but they have grown into precious Christian people we are proud of. May God bless all of our children's lives.
    God bless, Kathy in Illinois

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so easy for our children to drift away from the Lord nowadays. There are so very many temptations, so much media hype and peer pressure.. It can't be easy for them.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love your comments and encouragement! I can't always respond back but do read each comment.