Topsy-Turvy


Psalm 8 (NLT) ~

O Lord, our Lord, your majestic name fills the earth!
    Your glory is higher than the heavens.
You have taught children and infants
    to tell of your strength,
silencing your enemies
    and all who oppose you.

When I look at the night sky and see the work of your fingers—
    the moon and the stars you set in place—
what are mere mortals that you should think about them,
    human beings that you should care for them?
Yet you made them only a little lower than God
    and crowned them with glory and honor.
You gave them charge of everything you made,
    putting all things under their authority—
the flocks and the herds
    and all the wild animals,
the birds in the sky, the fish in the sea,
    and everything that swims the ocean currents.
O Lord, our Lord, your majestic name fills the earth!
 
I've been shaking my head at the news in recent weeks and have had many conversations with my husband at our topsy-turvy world. 
 
A world where people barely bat an eye at atrocities of abortion clinics and yet, rage against a man who killed a lion.
 
A world where human rights are violated every single day, including those of innocent children, and it gets only a few moments on the news but hours are spent discussing less important issues.
 
A world where almost every other post in Facebook's newsfeed is about the plight of animals and no mention is made of sex-trafficking of helpless women and girls.
 
I don't know how we got to the point where the things that should make our hearts cry out in outrage are pushed to the back page of the news.  I'm not sure where our society is headed when animals become more important than people made in the image of the living God. 
 
Before I start getting hundreds of comments, I love animals.  I have a very soft heart for them.  If my children didn't have allergies, I would own a fair share of cats or dogs.  I'd love to own a little farm.  In fact, if you remember my anecdotes about the roosters we had, I couldn't even get rid of them!  :-)  I don't hunt.  I get upset when I hear about animal cruelty.  I definitely think there should be punishments for people who torture animals.
 
But people are more important than animals.  God created man to have dominion over them and I think that means the care of them.  But I do not believe that a man's life should be destroyed because he went hunting.  Should he be fined for hunting a protected lion?  Absolutely.  Hunted and killed himself as some are saying?  Ridiculous!
 
No one is thinking of the farmer who tracked the lion.  What if that was the means to support his family?  What if fining him or sending him to prison causes even more poverty for his wife and children?
 
We need to wake up.  We need to remember God's priorities.  God loved the people in this world enough to die for them.  May we have eyes to see others as He does.
 

Comments

  1. Just hours ago read an article about Cecil the lion and people being outraged over his killing when every day in Syria hundreds of people are murdered by Assad's regime. Truly(and sadly) we should not be surprised.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love your comments and encouragement! I can't always respond back but do read each comment.