Monday, November 9, 2015

Driving Out the Darkness


John 1:5 ~

This, in essence, is the message we heard from Christ and are passing on to you: God is light, pure light; there’s not a trace of darkness in him.

What started out as a joyful day turned into a rotten one yesterday.  I spent the majority of the afternoon feeling hurt and crying my eyes out.  It was so silly too because nothing terrible happened.  I'd love to chalk it up to hormones but I truly think the devil knows where to hit me and he hit me hard yesterday.  I allowed a difficult morning, and a chance observation that wasn't even a criticism, to knock me down and ruin my day.

Every little bit of insecurity I have came rushing to the surface.  Feelings of not being good enough and the fear of people's opinions lingered all day long.  I went to bed with a pounding headache and swollen eyes.  As I woke up this morning and the thoughts came back, tears sprang into my eyes once again.

But, as I read the verse above, I remembered that God is light.  There is no darkness in Him.  The lies that I believe about myself have no place where He dwells.   The feelings I am experiencing about a situation are not the truth.  God is bigger than all of this and I need to remember that.

He is light.  He is truth.  He brings hope and solutions where Satan wants to keep me wallowing in depression and failure.  So on this Monday, I am keeping my eyes fixed on the Lord, and remembering that in Him, there is no darkness.