Frugal Friday

We can only be said to be truly alive in those moments
when our hearts are conscious of our treasures.
- Thornton Wilder


I love when I look at my life and really see the value in what I have.  By that, I don't mean material things.  I'm talking about the love of my husband and children.  The enjoyment I find in my daily life.  The simplicity of my life.  The fulfillment in ministry.  These are my treasures and the reasons I look forward to each day.
 
Being creative in finding ways to be frugal is another of these treasures.  I enjoy figuring out ways to make things stretch and how to make do with what I have.  In fact, I love the satisfaction I get from it.  Sometimes being frugal means I have to do without but I usually am creative enough that I can find a good alternative.
 
Here are some ways I've saved the past few weeks.
 
$  Christmas is coming and I have three different locations where my items are carried.  I'm want to add some Christmas things and I do have a stash of Christmas fabric but not a lot.  However, I'm determined not to buy any until after the holidays when the prices are slashed.  I made a table runner last night and it turned out adorable and used very little fabric that was actually Christmas.  I found the solid blue that matched perfectly yet was just every day cotton.
 
 
$  We did go out to eat this week but used gift cards that we had received so it cost nothing.
 
$  I cut both Dan and Nathan's hair.  Emily got a haircut and since I barter with the hairdresser for sewing projects that cost nothing too.
 
$  I always add a bit of water to the end of the laundry detergent or dishwashing liquid bottle and give it a good shake and usually get enough out for one or two more loads of laundry or dishes.
 
$  Shopped primarily at Aldi and enough for two weeks and spent $179 which included all household supplies.  It shows how much the prices have gone up because about ten years ago I would spent $75 there for two weeks.

$ This one I can't really take credit for but we purchased life insurance and the agent gave us a gift card for $100 for local restaurants.  You have to go online and print out the certificates but hey! It's $100. :-)
 
I know there were other little things I did all week which are too many to list, but these are a few of the major things.  Now that Christmas is coming, I'm going to have to work even harder at this.

Comments

  1. I like your table runner, with the snowflakes I think you could use it all winter.

    Yes, grocery prices have certainly gone up all across the board. It keeps us penny watching homemakers on our toes, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love your comments and encouragement! I can't always respond back but do read each comment.