Wednesday Words of Encouragement

I John 3:18-19 ~

Dear children, let’s not merely say that we love each other; let us show the truth by our actions. Our actions will show that we belong to the truth, so we will be confident when we stand before God.

Are you walking your talk?

It's so easy to say we love each other, but do we show it by our actions?  I am guilty of just yammering on about love and not always showing it.  I want to show love and I try to, but so often I am selfish, self-centered, and just so inwardly-focused.

I'm trying to change that.  How can you show love to others?

There are some different ways I have done that over the years.  Again, I am not always good at it and there is always room for improvement.  I have great intentions but I don't always follow through. 

But here are some ways to show love (some are things I have done and others what people have done for me).  It's just some ideas to get your thoughts flowing.  You may have different things you would do or have done.

1.  Send a note of thanks, encouragement, or just to let them know you are praying for them.

2.  Watch a friend's child if they need some help.  

3.  Bring a meal to someone who is going through a physical challenge or a loss.

4.  Invite someone to your house for a meal.

5.  Lend a helping hand.  If someone is moving, offer your services.  Help them clean if they are having health issues.  Help out if they just need the encouragement!

6.  Be aware of their likes and dislikes and send a gift of encouragement.  A woman in our last church knew my love of sewing and was always giving me sewing notions which can be expensive.

7.  Give hugs or reach out and touch someone as you talk.  Touch is a big deal to some.  I love hugs but again, you need to know the person's likes and dislikes.  Some don't like touch at all!  If they keep moving out of your reach that might be a sign to lay off the touching! ;-)  lol!!!

8.  Be thoughtful.  If you ask someone how they are doing then stop long enough to listen to the answer.  Make eye contact.  Engage when speaking with others.

9.  Pick up the phone and call someone and let them know you are thinking about them or praying for them or just to chat.

10. Speak to people that you may normally not talk to.  I can't tell you how many times I've seen people ignored or neglected at church because people would rather just talk to their friends.  Make a point of speaking to someone new each week.

Let's work hard at actually walking our talk.  Don't just say you love others.  Show it!

Comments