The Hub


As I was making dinner last night, Dan came over to see what I was cooking.  I had decided to try my hand at black bean burgers and surprisingly, everyone in the family loved them.  Even my picky eater ate them.  Dan made an observation.  He said that the household falls apart when I'm not here.  It's not that no one else can cook or do laundry or any of the activities that I do.  His observation was that moms are the hubs of their homes and wired to care for their families in a way that no one else can do it

I flew home from North Carolina last Monday night and discovered that Emily had been sick for two days.  She took some medicine and had been in bed.  Dan even took her to the doctor to make sure it wasn't strep throat.  It was just a virus and her allergies.  But when I got home, I began to doctor her myself.  I made sure she took Advil, Singular, nose spray and her inhaler on a regular basis.  I made chicken soup.  I made sure she was doing all she should do to get better, and it worked. She was better within a day or two and back to school.

I do think there is truth in his statement.  I am wired in a way that I instinctively know what needs to be done to make the house run smoothly.  On any given day, I'm making dinner, planning meals ahead, doing laundry, filling out school forms, helping one of my children with something that needs to be done, and a host of other things.


I come up with creative ways to decorate my house, present my meals, and make things attractive here.  I know when the kids have last been to the doctor and dentist.  I'm aware of what events are coming up and who needs to go where and when.



Moms are important.  They love and care for their children.  They don't just do the work, they know their children's hearts.  We live in a society where our role is being devalued but in my mind, we are uniquely wired to care for our families, and are the hub of our homes.  I love what I do and believe it's been the most important role in my life.

Embrace that role!  Give it your all.  Do it to the best of your ability.  There will never be anything else you do that has more importance.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Choosing Not to Kick the Cat

Oh What to Do; I'm Sixty-Two!

Eating to Live