Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Scarred


As I was sitting in my recliner and reading my Bible this morning, I looked down at my knee. I had surgery eleven days ago and have two little incision marks on either side of my left knee.  I am healing so quickly and am thrilled at how much I can walk and move my knee, but as I looked at these incisions I do realize that I'm going to have two little scars on either side of the knee.  They will be the mark of the surgery I had.

I also carry other scars.  They are the scars from spiritual battles that I have been in.  Battles of struggling against sin or the battle of past mistakes.  There are scars from the battles of emotional hurts inflicted upon me.  Most of the time, I don't notice them.  But every now and then they twinge and ache.  Something triggers a memory which causes the scar to throb.

But I also know that when I allow God to work in my life to heal those wounds, my scars are minimal.  When He doctors me, one will hardly notice my scars and often I am so completely healed that no scar is left at all.

Psalm 147:3 (HCSB) ~

He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds.

I'm thankful that the Great Physician works on those wounds.  When I look back on some of the worst wounds that have been inflicted upon me, I often can't find the scar or the hurt that was so present in my past is now a very distant memory.  And when that happens, I rejoice because I know how completely I have been healed.

I may be scarred, but the scars are not very noticeable and no longer bring pain.  That is the reason I can rejoice today!