Twenty-Eight Years




I love you
Not only for what you are,
But for what I am
When I am with you

I love you,
Not only for what
You have made of yourself,
But for what you are making of me.

I love you
For the part of me
That you bring out;
I love you
For putting your hand
Into my heaped-up heart
And passing over,

All the foolish weak things
That you can’t help
Dimly seeing there
And for drawing out
Into the light
All the beautiful belongings
That no one else looked
Quite far enough to find.

I love you because you
Are helping me to make
Of the lumber of my life
Not a tavern,
But a temple;
Out of the works
Of my every day
Not a reproach,
But a song.

You have done this
Without a touch,
Without a word,
Without a sign.
You have done it
By being yourself.
Perhaps that is what
Being a friend means,
After all.

Photobucket

Twenty-eight years ago today, as young seminary students, we married.  I am so thankful that I made that choice.  We fit like a glove.  His strengths are my weaknesses and vice versa.  He challenges me and I challenge him.  Someone told us a few years ago that we truly do compliment one another.

He is a wonderful and thoughtful husband, as well as a good father.  There are so many reasons I love this man and yet, at times I take him for granted.  I'm thankful that these anniversaries roll around each year because it's a fresh reminder of how much I have been blessed.

He doesn't know it yet, but I am packing a picnic dinner and we are headed out for a quiet dinner by the lake tonight.  We have two graduation parties today and one tomorrow to go to so it seemed as if we weren't going to get to do too much.  However, I wanted to do something to show him how much I appreciate him.

Happy Anniversary to my sweet guy.  I love you!

Comments