Margin





This past weekend was our Great Commission Women's Fall Refocus Retreat.  It was my first major retreat as the new director of our district and it went well.  The speakers were wonderful and it's always encouraging to spend some time with old friends, as well as meeting new ones.

One of the challenges we heard this weekend was that we often cram our lives so full of stuff that we don't have space to hear from God.  If He is calling us to do something and we haven't left any margin in our lives, we won't have room to do what He wants us to do.

I know that I often live my life without margins.  I stuff my days to the brim with activity.  I have many opportunities for ministry.  I have a number of things that I'm quite capable of doing myself.  Yet, should I do something just because I have the talent or ability to do it?  Often, I'll hear of some ministry or opportunity and think, "Oooh, I'd love to do that!"  or "Let's start this new thing."  but obviously, I can't do every single thing there is to do. 

I often struggle with knowing what I should do and what I shouldn't.  However, if I never take the time to slow down and pray and give myself margin, I won't know what is from the Lord for me to do and what is just a wonderful ministry that others should be doing.

As I prayed this weekend, one thing that I did feel the Lord pressing upon me was that at this stage in my life, it should be less about me doing everything and more about me teaching or mentoring others as they minister.  My role will be more of an encourager and coming alongside others in ministry. 

Sounds easy, right?  Not for this woman who is a doer.  Not when I often feel that unless I'm the one actually doing the ministry, it doesn't count.

Margin is hard for me.  But I need it in order to truly know what God's will is for my life.  I need to take time to reflect, pray and evaluate what I'm doing before I plunge in to anything.  I'm working on putting in those quiet times where I can hear what the Lord is trying to say.

Comments