Simplicity


When Dan and I were first married he was in seminary.  We didn't own a thing and of course, Dan was attending full-time while I worked full-time.  The few possessions we managed to set up house with were the result of hand-me-downs and wedding gifts.  As we went into a ministry that required us to raise our own support, we still didn't have the means to acquire much.  But we learned to be happy with what we had.  Our furniture was mismatched (still is) and we had a hodgepodge collection of dishes and pots and pans.  But that was okay. 

Much of our simple lifestyle was out of necessity but mostly, it's because it is who we are.  We could care less about acquiring material possessions.  Shopping doesn't thrill us and we avoid the mall at all costs.  Going on big fancy vacations isn't our thing.  It's really just the small moments that keep us happy.

I've learned the joy of simplicity, and being appreciative for small moments which in the grand scheme of life, really aren't so small.  Some things that have brought me joy recently:

❤  My neighbor's cat who has adopted us.  Every time we leave or come home, he's there meowing loudly and rubbing against us.  Of course, the fact that Emily feeds him a bit of milk may have something to do with it. ;-)

❤  The beauty of the setting sun.

❤  Cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger mixed together.  The smell is heavenly.

❤  Being able to open a shop on a shoestring budget and by finding things I have myself for display pieces.  I've only purchased 3 things for it.  Emily said to me the other day, "Every time I come home from school there is another item missing from the house."  "Are you moving out and just not telling me?"  hahahahahahah


❤  Snow days and the smell of homemade waffles and sausage.

❤  Hearing all three of my children laughing over the online game they are playing together.

❤  The smell of coffee in the morning.

❤  The anticipation of Thanksgiving dinner.

❤  Bringing chaos into order as I clean.

❤  Bird-watching



❤  Little thoughtful gifts from friends - a jar of jam, returning my soap bags so I can use them again, a crafty item that they thought I could use, peppermint from their garden.

❤  A pick-me-up cup of tea in the afternoon.

❤  Walking through the woods in silence with my husband.


❤  Curling up with a good book.

❤  The quietness of the house in the morning that allows me time to read and pray and write this blog.

I love our life and I am thankful that we do enjoy living simply and have learned to appreciate the small things.  We are happy and we are content.  And that is a lot to be thankful for in this day and age.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Choosing Not to Kick the Cat

Oh What to Do; I'm Sixty-Two!

Eating to Live