Multitude Monday: What Happens the Day After Easter Sunday?


Yesterday was Easter and Christians all over the world celebrated the resurrection. They had on their new clothes and shiny, smiling Easter faces. But what happens the day after Easter?  How many show up for church just for that day, thinking they have done their duty until Christmas?  How many continue to go to church, yet, the wondrous miracle of this event in history does very little to change them?  


What happens the day after resurrection Sunday, when monotonous Monday hits?   


  • Various concerns and situations still face me.
  • I have a to-do list that is longer than my arm.
  • I still have to deal with the same crisis that was there before Easter.
  • I'm still the same person with the same ongoing struggles.

What happens when the normality of life keeps marching on day, after humdrum, day?  


Does the resurrection still hold the same meaning when facing a painful illness, a pile of dirty laundry, and a stack of bills?  Does the joy of the Risen Savior transform our attitudes when all we want to do is complain about our petty problems?  Does the fact that Jesus didn't stay in the grave change my thought-life that often keeps me wallowing in depression and discouragement?


If nothing in my life changes, then what is the point of serving a risen Lord?  If my actions, attitudes, and words don't change, it seems that His resurrection is meaningless.  If I'm not living a changed life, then it's as if he never came down off that cross.


I want to live my life in such a way that I am reliving the resurrection of Christ on a daily basis, not just once a year.  I want to keep the memory of this miraculous gift before me each moment.  I want to remember it when I would rather complain.  I want to reflect on it when it is easier to rant and rave.  I want to feel that joy when all I feel is discouragement.


I want to live a changed life.  I don't want to keep Jesus in the grave.  I want to remember the empty tomb so that I will live my life as if I truly understand the implications for the day after the resurrection.


The resurrection means that that I can have victory over sin in my life the day after.  I can have control over my thought life. I am able to face my fears and disappointments.

Because of the resurrection, the day after I have the ability to do all things!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Choosing Not to Kick the Cat

Oh What to Do; I'm Sixty-Two!

Eating to Live