Comparisons

We sat at dinner one night a couple of weeks ago and as I lamented about some way our family was lacking (yes, I know terrible dinner conversation), Stephen looked straight at me and said, "What about our family are you thankful for?"  OUCH!!!

Yes, I repented and asked forgiveness as I realized how often I complain and criticize instead of being thankful for the good qualities that my husband and children have.  And much of the time, the only reason I feel they are lacking is that I am comparing them to someone else.

I look at my husband's lack of polish and think, "Wow!"  "I wish he was more like this person." "He would get so much further if he was different."

I read on Facebook about someone's child doing something fabulous or graduating at the head of their class and think, "Why aren't my kid's superstars?"  "Why do they seem to be so passive?"

I see someone's perfect looking home and think, "We'll never have that because we are in ministry." 

Comparisons are terrible because they cause dissatisfaction.  They make us look at our own lives, relationships and material possessions and feel as if they are lacking.  As I compare my family to Jane's I start to fixate on what is wrong with my family instead of seeing all the things that are right with it.  And that is a terrible place to be.

I love my husband and children.  They have many wonderful and unique gifts and qualities and I never want them to feel as if I think they are lacking.  But that's only going to happen when I stop comparing myself and them to others. 

I am so very thankful for my life and my family.  God has placed me where I am and in the family I belong to and for that I want to give Him praise today.  And that is why I'm going to continue to count my blessings each week.

This week I'm thankful for blessings #3001 - 3010.

3001. Stephen finally heard back from the camp he applied to work at this summer and has the job.

3002.  Nathan received a call back from a job he applied to.  He likes where he is but is really looking for something more stable and career-oriented.

3003.  I got the clearance to remove my brace and resume normal activities with caution.

3004. A fun day out with Emily.


3005. A friend who let me spend the night at her house and then drove the 4 1/2 hours  (round trip) to a speaking engagement I had on Saturday.  I still have difficulty keeping my knee bent for long periods so she was willing to drive.

(Side note: every picture someone takes of me when I'm talking turns out with me having some sort of weird expression on my face! lol)

3006.  A fun dinner out with friends.

3007.  Coming home on Saturday night with a table set for Mother's Day lunch the next day. It was one of the sweetest gifts I received because they had words scattered across the table on hearts.  The words were characteristics they love about me.



3008.  A wonderful lunch prepared by Emily on Mother's Day.

3009.  Getting outside and enjoy the warm sunshine.



and finally...

3010.  Being thankful for all my many blessings.

Comments