Wednesday Words of Encouragement


Yesterday we discovered that money that we thought was coming for Emily's college bill is in fact, not coming and we owe quite a large sum.  We also discovered that unlike Stephen's college, they don't give you the option of 10 months to pay it off.  It must be paid by in four monthly installments that equal half of Dan's paycheck.  As this realization hit yesterday my stomach started knotting up, I felt my hands shaking and my head began to throb.  I truly felt like I was going to throw up.

I woke up in the middle of the night and once my sleepy brain kicked in so did the anxiety.  But in the middle of my worried thoughts, one phrase came clearly to my head, "Be still and know that I am God."  It kept playing over and over again and surprisingly, I was able to focus on that and drifted back to sleep.

This morning I looked up the Psalm that it came from and found this encouragement.

Psalm 46 (ESV) ~

God is our refuge and strength,    a very present help in trouble.
Therefore we will not fear though the earth gives way,
    though the mountains be moved into the heart of the sea,
though its waters roar and foam,
    though the mountains tremble at its swelling.

It sure feels as if the earth is giving way and waters are rising and crashing over my head.

There is a river whose streams make glad the city of God,
    the holy habitation of the Most High.
God is in the midst of her; she shall not be moved;
    God will help her when morning dawns.
The nations rage, the kingdoms totter;
    he utters his voice, the earth melts.
The Lord of hosts is with us;
    the God of Jacob is our fortress.

No matter what I'm facing, I have a shelter in which I can run to and find safety.

Come, behold the works of the Lord,
    how he has brought desolations on the earth.
He makes wars cease to the end of the earth;
    he breaks the bow and shatters the spear;
    he burns the chariots with fire.

When I reflect on ways He has helped me in the past, I remember that God can overcome anything I face!

“Be still, and know that I am God.
    I will be exalted among the nations,
    I will be exalted in the earth!”
The Lord of hosts is with us;
    the God of Jacob is our fortress.

I need to stop worrying; stop striving; stop pacing back and forth and be still.  Relax.  God's got this.  He will show us a way to deal with this issue, just as He has helped us with other problems. 

I'm glad for that reminder that I received in the middle of the night.  Do I still know how we are going to pay for it?  No.  But, in the light of day God has given me some thoughts and the knowledge that He is in control is helping the fear to die down. Thanks to a gift, we have the first installment and I know the Lord will help us to come up with the rest.  I'm resting in the fact that He is God and I don't have to keep worrying because it'll work out.

What are you facing today?  No matter what it is, be still and know that He is God.  He will work and He will be exalted.  Be encouraged today!

Comments