Breaking Bread Together


"There is something profoundly satisfying about sharing a meal.  Eating together, breaking bread together, is one of the oldest and most fundamentally unifying of human experiences.  ~ Barbara Coloroso

Hospitality is a wonderful thing.  It's the act of looking outside yourself, reaching out to others and making them feel loved, appreciated and wanted.  I have experienced this from others and I have tried to practice it myself.

I love how other Christians have shared of their time, possessions and invested in not only myself, but my children.  When we first moved here, a friend opened up their home and allowed Stephen to stay with them for a semester while he finished out his community college.  And now different friends have generously opened up their home to him so he can finish out his four year degree this coming semester.  Their hospitality is saving us thousands of dollars so that Stephen won't have to pay for on-campus room and board, nor pay for extra credits to stay on campus needlessly.

Another friend took me out to lunch last week when she knew I needed a pick-me-up after dropping Emily off at college and a different friend invited me to lunch today.  We invited a couple out for coffee the other day and it was great to catch up with them, and hear what is happening in their lives.

I have gotten off track with having people over and I want to get back in the habit.  So yesterday, because the men were all out of the house, I had an impromptu lunch for some friends.  It felt great to open up my home, use my love of cooking to practice this important gift.  Eight of us ate, talked, laughed and had a great time.  I only have room for so many around the table, so I couldn't invite everyone, but will be doing this more often in the coming weeks and make a point of inviting different people each time.

As believers, we should be known as hospitable people.  Let's work on practicing this important gift.  Let's break bread together!

Romans 12:13 (HCSB) ~

When God’s people are in need, be ready to help them. Always be eager to practice hospitality

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Choosing Not to Kick the Cat

Oh What to Do; I'm Sixty-Two!

Eating to Live