The Glass


I picked up the glass from the table for about the millionth time.  Sometimes, it's left on the table and other times on the freezer top which is near the door.  Still other times it's on the coffee table or end table.  It's never left on the counter by the sink, where it belongs.

I felt irritation rising in me because really, how difficult is it to just walk a few feet further, and place it where the dirty dishes go?  My husband downs a glass of water or juice each morning and wherever he drinks it, is where the empty glass sits.

But just as quickly as that irritation rose up, I thought about the fact that some day there may not be a dirty glass to pick up.  There may not be water splashes to wipe all over the bathroom counter because he is no longer there. And suddenly, those little, silly quirks will be missed. 

As I thought about that this morning, the irritation melted away.  The very fact that I have to walk an extra 2 steps to pick up his glass myself seemed so unimportant.  The frustration I feel as I wipe down a sink or pick up dirty socks or have to reopen a cupboard because Dan comes behind me and closes them as I'm cooking, seems so trivial. 

Life is fleeting and rather than spend time sniping at one another over meaningless things, remember to embrace those quirks.  Love your spouse with all your heart.  Those little habits are what make them the wonderful person you married. 

I'd rather pick up a glass in a house where I know my love is coming home to give me a hug, then to live in a spotless, but empty house.  So I'm going to choose to wash that glass with love, and wipe down the sink with joy and do the laundry each day because I am thankful for this man that God has given me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Choosing Not to Kick the Cat

Oh What to Do; I'm Sixty-Two!

Eating to Live