Wednesday Words of Encouragement

Mark 4:36-41 (HCSB) ~

On that day, when evening had come, He told them, “Let’s cross over to the other side of the sea.” So they left the crowd and took Him along since He was already in the boat. And other boats were with Him. A fierce windstorm arose, and the waves were breaking over the boat, so that the boat was already being swamped. But He was in the stern, sleeping on the cushion. So they woke Him up and said to Him, “Teacher! Don’t You care that we’re going to die?”
He got up, rebuked the wind, and said to the sea, “Silence! Be still!” The wind ceased, and there was a great calm. Then He said to them, “Why are you fearful? Do you still have no faith?”


And they were terrified and asked one another, “Who then is this? Even the wind and the sea obey Him!”

I am always amazed at how many times the disciples lacked faith. They were with Jesus on a daily basis. They experienced his miracles and teachings first hand and yet, every time some new crisis arose they panicked.  

This particular story makes me laugh because I can almost hear the whiny tone in their voice as they wake him up and say, "Don't you care about us?"  "Why are you allowing this?"

And Jesus just calmly gets up and tells the sea and the wind, "Be quiet!" And just like that all was quiet again.  He turns to his disciples and asked them why their faith was so small.

Even though I smile at the silliness of Jesus' disciples, I really am like them. I see God's hand working in my life. I've seen His faithfulness time and time again throughout the years. But every new trial throws me into a tailspin.  Why is my faith so small?  Why do I spend so much time staring at the wind and the stormy sea instead of just being calm and trusting that God has it under control?

It would be a bit different if I were a brand new Christian who hadn't experienced the power of God in my life yet. But I've been in a relationship with Him since my teenage years. I'm just like the disciples because I've seen miracles performed in my life. I've seen healings and provision and chains broken. I've seen God move mountains and have seen the waves part so I could cross through. But still I doubt.

I'm sure you struggle with this from time to time. When things go wrong we are like those disciples frantically shaking Jesus awake and saying with rebuke, "Don't you care about me?"

My encouragement to you today is to take your eyes off the wind and the waves. Put them directly on the Lord. Let's ask God for increased faith and watch Him quiet the storm.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Choosing Not to Kick the Cat

Oh What to Do; I'm Sixty-Two!

Eating to Live