When Messiness Turns Into a Multitude












Life is messy and hard and sometimes, chaotic. It is a constant struggling and clawing and striving to move three steps forward, just to go two steps back.  And it's easy to say, "Enough!" "I want off this merry-go-round." And when you add other people's mess into your mess it is a giant pot of "ick".

Being in ministry is challenging at times because people are broken and bruised. Some are hard around the edges and hold you at arm's length, while others are needy and clingy and can drain you of every bit of energy you have. I see patterns of behavior and addictions and chains that are waiting to be broken by Christ's atoning power and yet, people are content to wallow in their sin-soaked filth. Add to the mix my own sinful patterns and nature and it can just be a giant-sized mess.

I can't make anyone see the light or break their chains. I can't control anything except my own responses to the ugliness around me. And even then my responses aren't always Godly or correct and then I spiral down into feeling depressed and defeated.

But there are moments when I rise above the mess and see glimpses of God's hand. I see His work in lives. The cloud lifts for a bit and I see Him moving in people. Some move a few steps further ahead. Others are making small changes that are encouraging. Others are making bigger leaps. I'll see things in this physical world that are showing that the heavenly realm is at work. And that is encouraging.  Those moments turn the mess I'm dealing with into a multitude of gratitude on Monday morning.

This week I'm thankful for blessings #3,221 - 3,235

3221. Children who come each week and are learning of God's love for them in a fun and safe environment.

3222. Wonderful co-leaders who lighten my load.

3223. A brand new church roof and bright sunshine the two days the roofers were replacing it.

3224. Emily is home for the week and it's wonderful to have her here.  I love my boys but having another woman around is great! lol

3225. Making my family's favorite meals.

3226. God's provision of another student for Dan to tutor.

3227. A gentleman from church who came to figure out why the church had no heat yesterday morning and the heating company who came out right away.

3228. Good attitudes from everyone who arrived to find no heat. :-)  It came back on just as the service was starting.

3229. A triumphal entry of children yesterday.

3230. A huge crowd in church. We had 70 people yesterday which made our little building burst at the seams. Wonderful!

3231. My son who is helping me with youth group until he leaves for his internship in May.

3232. The teens who helped me stuff Easter eggs for our community egg hunt next Saturday.

3233. A physical reminder of Christ's work on the cross.

3234. A boost in my lagging energy level right before youth group last night. I made it through a very long day, but I crashed hard last night.

and finally...

3235. Messes being turned into multitudes.


Note: I'm going to start doing my Monday to-do list on my side bar rather than make a whole blog post about it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Choosing Not to Kick the Cat

Oh What to Do; I'm Sixty-Two!

Eating to Live