Frugal Friday: Using My Pantry & Freezer

I wish my pantry was this big, instead of just a couple of cupboards!

My refrigerator is bare, and I've needed to go grocery shopping since the beginning of the week, but have managed to come up with some tasty meals each night just by using what I have in my pantry and freezer. We have done a milk run and I picked up an 8 oz. package of cheese and a bag of corn for last night's meal, but other than that I've used what I have on hand.

Last year as I was purchasing bulk fruits and veggies from the farmer's market and then did the work of processing, canning or freezing them, I wondered if it was really worth all the effort. However, as I've been able to go long stretches at a time without shopping, I think that yes! It is worth the work.



It is much cheaper to buy things in season and then preserve them rather than buy out of season fruits and vegetables and pay double the price.  Plus the taste is just better.  I did a garden for many years but the past two years have been hitting a regional farmer's market for much of my produce. I also have a Mennonite store that I go to periodically to stock up on bulk baking supplies.

With a pretty bare refrigerator, I was still able to put together the following meals this week:

Monday - Stuffed shells and Italian sausage, salad - I made stuffed shells for dinner on Saturday and made a bit extra for Monday night.  Someone had brought Italian sausage for breakfast on Sunday and there were leftovers so I paired it with the shells and had the last of the fresh veggies for salad.

Tuesday - Corn chowder with homemade rye bread (I had a loaf leftover from the farmer's market where I sold it and put it in the freezer)

Wednesday - Lemon-garlic chicken with capers, rice, and maple-orange glazed carrots

Thursday - Layered tortilla casserole.  This is really yummy and is basically browned ground beef, pinto beans, onion, garlic, green peppers, jalapenos, salsa, cheese, and corn tortillas all layered in a Dutch oven and baked.

The leftovers have been eaten for lunches during the week. Tonight will more than likely be breakfast for dinner since I haven't done that in a while.

Friday - Omelets made with farm fresh eggs (Dan has a student and his parents give us eggs), tomatoes, onions and feta cheese, homemade hash browns from the 4 leftover potatoes, toast from the leftover rye bread.

Tomorrow is grocery shopping day so I'll be back in business. And you know what one of my tricks is in being creative in the kitchen? About an hour before I'm supposed to start making it, I watch a cooking show such as Chopped or Beat Bobby Flay or something along those lines. It works every time! I get inspired, my brain starts churning as to what I can come up with and it provides motivation. I say go with what works! 🤣🤣

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Choosing Not to Kick the Cat

Oh What to Do; I'm Sixty-Two!

Eating to Live