On a Mission

I've mentioned here before that I've been working at cutting out things so I can stay focused on what I believe God has called me to do.  I have felt this nudge many times in my life, and follow it for a time, but slip back into picking up things I shouldn't be doing.

Once a month I meet with my assigned mentor to study for my consecration exams which will happen about a year and a half from now. The positive side of this is that she is also a friend. Yesterday afternoon was our meeting, and I so appreciate her input into my life because she will ask me every time, "How are you doing at letting things go?"

As I was chatting with her about once again feeling the need to let go of one more thing, and my struggle with it, she said, "What is your mission?" "What is the purpose that God has called you to do?" If I can learn to get that clear in my head, then no matter what comes my way, if it doesn't fit into that purpose, then I don't do it. I won't get distracted and side-tracked. I'll stay on mission.

Saying no is difficult for me for a number of reasons. I enjoy trying new things and being busy. I do struggle with feeling guilty if I say no as if I'm letting someone down. And often, if I say, "No," I feel like I'm missing out on an opportunity. And yet, if I say, "yes" to whatever it is, and it's not really something God is calling me to, I start to feel overwhelmed.

As I try to figure out what exactly I'm called to do and how that will look in my future, I know the following:

I enjoy encouraging women through my writing and speaking.
I love teaching God's word whether that's children, teens or adults.
I have the gift of organization and leadership and teaching.

So my current mission is to figure out what my mission is! I am enjoying this stage in my life where I can look back and fit all the pieces of my experiences, gifts, likes and dislikes together.  That along with a sense of God's purpose is exciting!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Choosing Not to Kick the Cat

Oh What to Do; I'm Sixty-Two!

Eating to Live