Frugal Staycation, Day #2


I received a phone call yesterday from my orthopedic surgeon's office, letting me know the surgery on my torn meniscus is scheduled for July 12th and that I have a number of appointments for various things scheduled.  Three of those appointments are for this week, right smack in the middle of our vacation. I was tempted to grumble, but I also know I need to get them all out of the way in order to have my knee repaired so we are working around the appointments this week.

So our first stop yesterday was at the hospital for bloodwork and then we are off on our adventure for the day.

We headed about an hour south and into the first of the Finger Lakes, Cayuga Lake. It is such a beautiful area and it was a great day for it. We stopped here or there along the way at different vineyards just to check them out. I must confess that I've heard of wine tours and had no idea what they were. lol


I'm not a drinker, but do use wine for cooking so was curious. I didn't realize that there were different vineyards every few miles along these lakes and people stop for wine tastings. Of course, the thought that went through my head is that as people sampled wine at each stop, I hope they had a designated driver!

These vineyards also have many other neat things to purchase. One of the vineyards had a huge selection of flavored olive oils, vinegars and honey. You could sample all of them to decide which you liked best. I ended up picking up a couple of bottles of olive oil. Another had a variety of jams and jellies and I got a couple of jars there too, just to give me some ideas as I make my own.


We stopped at a little market and picked up some items for a picnic lunch. We found a grassy knoll on the side of the road at a park and stopped to have lunch.


Then we checked out a local waterfall at a state park. Beautiful!


It really was a nice day. We left the house at 9 a.m. and were back home by 5. We had been given money for our anniversary and often end up using it for bills or something along those lines, but we actually used it for what it was intended so the outing cost us next to nothing.

Total cost for the day = $20 in gas.

Here are a few more pictures of the day.



I can't tell you how I longed to be able to keep going!






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Choosing Not to Kick the Cat

Oh What to Do; I'm Sixty-Two!

Eating to Live