Lighter Days Ahead!




I've spent the 3 years doing nothing but sitting due to multiple injuries. And the more I sit the more the lbs. have crept on. At this point I'm about 60 lbs. overweight. I don't necessarily look like it's that much because I have a larger frame and carry it differently, but I certainly feel it. And lately, I am not at all happy at the way I look. There is a reason you do not see many photos of me. When I've gotten to the point that I don't want to go out because of the way I look I know that I need to get it together.

So I've decided that I need to get serious about getting my weight under control. Now that I can exercise, albeit slowly, I am working at making some changes. I'm pre-diabetic, my blood pressure has crept up a bit and I am out of shape!

We live right on top of a state highway. The shoulder along the road is minimal and I really am not comfortable walking on it. There are not a lot of walking trails around here and to get to them I have to jump in a car and drive about 7-10 miles. Since we only have one car it is not always convenient to do so. I'm also not really comfortable walking by myself through the woods without Dan with me. It's not the animals I'm concerned about, but there are some shady characters around and I'm nervous.

So that limits me. But there is a field behind us and I turned on my Fitbit app on my phone and walked the perimeter of our yard and field last night and found that it's 3/10 of a mile. So I managed to walk it 3 times for a total of 9/10 of a mile. My plan is to do that daily and if possible, do it twice a day. I can gradually add on mileage and quicken my pace. 

I'm going to do this gradually as doing that mountain top hike two weeks ago was not the wisest decision and my knee has been hurting since then. So I want to slow it up a bit which isn't always easy for me. lol I've restarted doing the physical therapy exercises a few times a day and I'll take it slow with the walking. 

Because I'm prediabetic, my blood sugar tends to plummet from time to time depending on what I've eaten or when I've eaten. Yesterday was one of those days and I think I just did not eat enough protein to keep it level. So I'm working on being more conscious of that and eating meals at regular times. I tend to get involved with things and then wait to eat until I'm really feeling sick with hunger which triggers one of these episodes.

This morning I had steel cut oats with chia seeds, a few chopped pecans, blueberries, cinnamon and just a splash (less than a Tbsp.) of maple syrup. Yum!

I'm working on getting lighter and healthier!

Comments