A Woman Worthy of Honor


For as long as I can remember my mother has been a constant in my life. We haven't always seen eye to eye and we are very different. I'm an extrovert and she's an introvert. I'm a risk taker and she is not. We think very differently about most things. I think I'm right most of the time, and she thinks she is right most of the time. 🤣

But when all is said and done, I'm so very thankful that she is my mother. Because I can think of two words that describe my mom that make all of our differences pale in comparison.



Faithful and generous

My mother is faithful to God and her family. She loves the Lord and is faithful is following Him. She does her best to live out her faith each and every day. She wants to follow and serve Him in whatever situation she finds herself, and she has been that way since she first accepted Christ in her life back when I was a 12 year old. 

She is supportive of her family. She has been there through thick and thin. She never waivers in her belief that we can do anything. She has been an emotional anchor whenever we need her. She hopes for, and sees the best for each one of her children, even when we haven't lived up to those expectations. 

My mom has had a hard life. She generally has not had much good happen to her. She was abused as a child and teen, was married to an alcoholic, divorced, and then raised three children by herself. Yet, she remains faithful. She is 75 years old and took care of my grandmother for the past 5 years until she couldn't manage her physical needs anymore. Then she moved her to a nursing home. 

While most people would go and visit their parents once a week and do their duty, my mother is different. She goes a couple of times a week and spends a few hours with her mom. She makes sure she is getting the care she is supposed to get. She genuinely loves and cares for my grandmother and the unusual thing about this is that they never had a good relationship. My grandmother was abusive and often said and did extremely unkind things to my mom. Yet, my mother remains faithful to her.

My stepdad is in the beginning stages of dementia and so my mom knows that her life is going to be one of a caretaker and it's a struggle for her at times. But she does it faithfully, every single day.

She is generous. She tithes regularly to her church whether she is there on a particular Sunday or not. She not only gives of her money, but she gives of her time. Even though she is 75 she still volunteers in many of the church ministries. 

She also gives to missions, as well as special requests from various friends or family for fundraisers. And she is generous to her family. There has been many times throughout the years when she has gifted us in some way.

I do not say this enough, but I truly do love my mom. I get busy and we aren't great at keeping in touch on a regular basis, but I am so thankful that God gave me the mom I have. She taught be a lot of what it means to be faithful, supportive and generous. 

She is a woman who is worthy of honor.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Choosing Not to Kick the Cat

Oh What to Do; I'm Sixty-Two!

Eating to Live