Spoiled?











It has been such a busy weekend and today is going to be busy as well. We have church this morning and then we are taking Emily back to college so will have a 6 hour round trip. When Emily found out we were going elsewhere for Thanksgiving, she wasn't happy. So she asked me if we could at least do our own Thanksgiving dinner when we got back home. 

I asked her why and her response made me laugh. She said, "I like the smell of turkey when I wake up in the morning." And then later on she said, "I like when you set the table with pretty china and candles!" I think I may have spoiled my children!

But I truly understand what she meant. She wanted the special touches that I usually do during the holidays. She wanted our meaningful traditions. We go around the table and say what we are thankful for, and then we pray for our meal. We set up the tree and decorate for Christmas the day after Thanksgiving. There are certain foods we have during these holidays that were missing this year.

So I obliged her and the boys by having a "second" Thanksgiving. I didn't cook a whole turkey, but pulled out some sliced turkey I had set aside when I made two turkeys last weekend for our church potluck. I turned it into our normal day-after-Thanksgiving-casserole of turkey, gravy and dressing on top. I did add some of our sides - mashed potatoes, sweet potato casserole, veggies and an apple pie for dessert.

We went out yesterday to get a live tree this year and then the kids decorated for me. It was an exhausting day in many ways because we crammed a lot into it, but I'm glad I did. They may be spoiled, but I consider this type of spoiling a good thing. I'm creating memories for my children that will last a lifetime.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Choosing Not to Kick the Cat

Oh What to Do; I'm Sixty-Two!

Eating to Live