On the Seventh Day of Christmas: A New Year and a New Word


Each year for the past several I've prayed and thought about what my focus for the new year will be. This year as I was thinking about it, the following word popped into my head along with a scripture. Over the past couple of months it has occurred a number of times. One night I woke up from a sound sleep with the scripture running through my head. The other morning, the word popped into my head again. 

So I think it's pretty clear what my word for 2019, along with my theme verse should be. And it's something that I do see as needing improvement in my life. 


Diligence: careful and persistent work or effort

2 Timothy 2:15 - Be diligent to present yourself approved to God, a worker who doesn’t need to be ashamed, correctly teaching the word of truth.



I usually work hard, but not so diligently or persistently. I especially feel the necessity of doing this spiritually as I prepare for consecration. My oral examination will be taking place in October, and a few weeks before that is an 8 hour written exam. I can't just go in and "wing it." And yet, I get sidetracked on a regular basis. 

Diligence is something that I've never been very good at. And I have found that the internet has made me very lazy when it comes to memorizing scripture. When I'm trying to find a passage for something, it's been easier to just google it instead of taking the time to seek it out myself.  

I want to be diligent with every area in my life, but more importantly, in how I handle God's word. I don't want to just haphazardly study for my upcoming exams, but I want to be diligent in knowing the scriptures. I want to be able to memorize and recall those passages that will be needed as I minister to others. 

In 2019 I want to apply diligence to all I do, but especially in this area. Some of that will mean being much more disciplined in how I handle my online time. It will also mean doing a better job of discipling my activity time and scheduling things. I tend to get so engrossed in an activity such as sewing that I can spend hours doing that to the detriment of all else. I need to schedule my time and allot a certain amount of time to each activity. Diligence!

I'm looking forward to developing this in the coming year. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Choosing Not to Kick the Cat

Oh What to Do; I'm Sixty-Two!

Eating to Live