On the Sixth Day of Christmas: A Look Back on My Word for 2018


A few years ago I started this activity at the beginning of each year where I pray and think about a word I want to focus on for the year. It's been a neat thing to do as it gives me an overall theme or focus for the coming year. 

The word for 2018 was more. I wanted to see more of God's work in my life and less of me. I posted that and then ashamedly went on my merry way without too much thought about it. Once in a while, it would come to mind but I didn't think I was putting too much effort into it. In fact, I haven't even had that word in my head for the past few months until I looked back on it the other day.

But God in His graciousness, took me at my word (no pun intended). He did indeed begin the process of helping me to decrease so He could increase. I may not have done much about it, but He certainly did. 

As I've mentioned a few times 2018 has been a rough year. It has been a year of being knocked down from time to time. A year of being humbled, a year when things didn't go as planned, and a year of struggle. It was a year of God taking out some character flaws and holding them up to His light so I could see all the glaring dirt on them. 

But in the middle of all this turmoil, I've had to learn to turn things over to God. I've had to rely on Him for solutions instead of my own resources and resolve. I've had to learn to let go and I've also realized how many weaknesses I actually have. It's humbling, but a process that has been good for me.

He's not done with me and I know there is so much more work ahead. I'm thankful for this hard process even though it's not been easy. I'm thankful for the daily practice I have to correct some of my flaws. I'm thankful for the more of Him that I have received and the lessening of myself.

And that's what makes 2018 a very good year.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Choosing Not to Kick the Cat

Oh What to Do; I'm Sixty-Two!

Eating to Live