On the Third Day of Christmas: Working in Your Sweet Spot


On this third day of Christmas, I've spent some time in reflection and want to talk about working in your sweet spot. In other words, your gift set. As believers, the Holy Spirit gives us different spiritual gifts, and we are also blessed with certain talents and personalities. The talents and personalities are just the way we are wired.

When we come to the point in our life when all three - spiritual gifts + talents + personality are working together, it is sweet! So often though we struggle with finding that place. Some of that is because we try to be something we aren't, or desire to have spiritual gifts we haven't been given, or we try to change our personality and the way God made us.

Our worship leader at church has been away the past two weeks, and she will be gone this Sunday as well. When she's not there I step up and lead. The problem is I have a very low voice and I generally just sing harmony. When I choose songs in the key she normally sings, which is a higher key, I can barely sing, let alone lead. Last Sunday I stumbled through many of the songs and came away feeling discouraged. So for Christmas eve, I went through the songs I wanted the congregation to sing and chose them all in a key that I could sing comfortably. The difference between Sunday morning and Monday night was I could sing and lead with confidence. Singing was a joy because I wasn't feeling insecure and unable to hit notes.

Using our gifts is the same way. One of the reasons I'm working so hard at consecration is that it will help me to achieve my goal of working in my sweet spot. After college, I went on to seminary to work towards the goal of being in ministry. God has gifted me in particular ways that as I use my gifts in ministry, along with the personality and particular talents He has given me, I feel fulfilled and satisfied. I feel confidence as I follow His leading. I am working in my sweet spot.

I pray that each of you can figure that spot out for yourself no matter what you do in your life. It may be a teacher, a sales associate, a ministry leader or even a stay-at-home mom. Whatever it is, do it for the Lord and you will find fulfillment as you carry out the Lord's purpose for your life.

Romans 8:28 (NASB) ~

And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Choosing Not to Kick the Cat

Oh What to Do; I'm Sixty-Two!

Eating to Live