What's Your Language?

Photobucket

We were chatting as a family after dinner last night and the topic of love languages came up. How do we show love and how do we receive love? It was interesting because the things we do to show love to others isn't always the way they feel it. 

The concept of there being love languages was introduced in the marriage book by Gary Chapman, The Five Love Languages. He proposes there are five different ways to show and receive love: Acts of Service (Devotion), Words of Affirmation, Quality Time, Receiving Gifts, and Physical Touch. The book was written for husbands and wives on how to create a better marriage, but I find it useful in many of our relationships, including our children.

Steve shared with us that the way he receives love is through words of affirmation and it was a lightbulb moment for me because I wonder how many times I give him what he needs? The answer is probably not enough. More often than not, I'm afraid I'm critiquing him even though I think I'm being helpful. He feels quite deflated and ready to give up at the moment, and I'm afraid at times I deflate him even more. 

I'm using him as an example, but I also need to think about Dan and Nathan and Emily also, and what their love languages are. I'm not going to meet every need but I certainly can do a better job of being aware of how my family feels and expresses love. Sometimes I'm doing things that reflect the way I receive love but that may not be another person's love language.

Having adult children living at home is challenging, no matter how temporary it may be. But as we are working through these issues, I am finding it to be a rewarding process as we continue to stretch, be challenged and grow together as a family.


Some questions for reflection: What is your love language? What is your spouses love language? Your children?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Choosing Not to Kick the Cat

Oh What to Do; I'm Sixty-Two!

Eating to Live