Wednesday Words of Encouragement

Philippians 2:3-11 ~

"Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves. Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others.

Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus:
Who, being in very nature God,
did not consider equality with God something to be grasped,
but made himself nothing,
taking the very nature of a servant,
being made in human likeness.
And being found in appearance as a man,
he humbled himself
and became obedient to death—
even death on a cross!
Therefore God exalted him to the highest place
and gave him the name that is above every name,
that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow,
in heaven and on earth and under the earth,
and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord,
to the glory of God the Father.

We live in a "me" society. Every commercial, every message says that it’s all about me! Do it my way. Take what I want. Stomp my foot and pitch a fit if things don’t go my way.

Yet this whole attitude flies in the face of what scripture teaches. The Bible tells us that it’s about others. Look out for each other. Be humble. Put others first. It’s not all about me!

Our example in this is Jesus. He was God, and yet He came down in human form and with all the limitations of being human. He did not complain or roll His eyes or mutter under His breath while He served us. He did it willingly. He did it with joy knowing He was doing the will of His Father.

As we go through our days, are we willing to serve others? Do we cheerfully look for ways to promote others and encourage them? Or is it about you getting the recognition? Do we throw a fit if things don’t go our way?

It’s easy to fall into that trap, especially when the message around us promotes self-centeredness and selfishness. I encourage you today to lead a humble life. Look for ways to be like Christ to those you come in contact with each day.

Maybe if I take "me" out of the picture, I would point more people to "Him!"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Choosing Not to Kick the Cat

Oh What to Do; I'm Sixty-Two!

Eating to Live