Multitude Monday


We took Emily back to college yesterday after she spent a week at home for spring break. After taking her grocery shopping, we went to her dorm to unload. The first thing that hit us as we walked into the building was the smell of marijuana. It's an unpleasant acrid scent that permeates the air every time we go.

As a mom, I always feel a bit depressed when we leave her there because it's not the best environment. She has 3 suite mates and when we went into the suite yesterday, it was a mess. Emily started stressing almost immediately because whoever had cooked last left food all over the stove and counter tops. 


As I put her groceries away, she immediately started wiping down surfaces and emptying the overflowing trash. I know college kids can be messy, and she isn't always the neatest,  but this was really disgusting. 


It's so different than the college experience I had, however, I am thankful that as a mother, my daughter has a good head on her shoulders. She is assertive and speaks up when she needs to do so. She is determined to succeed. She is not afraid to cut out negative influences in life.  

So while it's not the environment I really want for her and she would rather live off campus, she is rising above it all, and moving forward and for that I'm very thankful. And I am also thankful that she has decided to come home this summer. I'm not sure where she will work or what she will do, but I know she will figure it out. 


This week I am thankful for blessings #3,626 - 3635.



3626. Stephen got hired full-time, doing the same job he was doing but it pays $2 more an hour. I'm thankful that he loves the job and that God provided full-time.


3627. Nathan was chattering away this morning because he got praised for catching a mistake at work yesterday and received a reward for that. I'm thankful he has a good company to work for.

3628. I'm thankful for a refreshing few days away at our District Prayer Conference.

3629. I'm thankful for fun and creative ways to decorate for a ladies luncheon.


3629. I'm thankful for the number of new women who came to the luncheon.


3630. I'm thankful my crocuses are up though this morning they are covered with 6" of snow that fell overnight.



3631. I'm thankful that I'm feeling better after being sick for most of last week.

3632. I had to give a small presentation at our district conference about some changes occuring in the organization I'm the director of for our district. I'm thankful that they were well received and I'm thankful for a district superintendent who is very supportive.

3633. As I prepare for two upcoming messages and a Bible study I'm thankful for a quiet week!


3634. I'm thankful for the mothering lessons I continue to learn as a mom to adult children. It's a challenge for me at times to be out of control but I'm thankful that God continues to teach me as I go.

and finally...

3635. I'm thankful for all three of my adult children, and that despite our weaknesses as parents, have turned out well.

Comments

  1. It must be hard for you to see Emily in such an environment. Here students are allowed to live off campus on the second year. Maybe she will be able to do that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's will be beginning her 3rd year in Sept. and yes, she can live off campus. It's just a matter of finding an affordable place and a reliable roommate(s) to share the rent.

      Delete

Post a Comment

I love your comments and encouragement! I can't always respond back but do read each comment.

Popular posts from this blog

Choosing Not to Kick the Cat

Oh What to Do; I'm Sixty-Two!

Eating to Live