When the Road is Hard


I was looking back over family pictures the other night and felt a lump rising in my throat and the crushing weight of anxiety settling on me. While I have so many good memories, there are also memories of difficult times, hard roads, and rocky paths. Raising a family with disabilities, mental health issues and other problems is overwhelming at times.

We've never had a "normal" life compared to many of our friends and we probably never will. Yet, this is the road that God has chosen for us to walk down and I don't want to spend my time wallowing in self-pity. And I certainly don't want to complain about it. 

But I don't want people to think they are alone in it either. Some of the words we deal with bring shame to some people and all too often go unspoken - anxiety, Tourette's syndrome, autism, depression, obsessive-compulsive disorder and a few more thrown in for good measure. But the more it's unspoken, the easier it is to sink into depression, loneliness and isolation. And yet, I think there are a lot of people out there who deal with family members who have these things or perhaps, deal with it themselves.

The road is hard but there is hope in Christ. It seems that no matter how many times I feel that anxiety, when I spend time in prayer and reading God's word, the hope returns. Peace settles back on me and I'm ready to face each new challenge and each new day.

Yes, the road is hard, but I also know the ONE who is walking beside me through those valleys.


Psalm 46:1 ~

God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble.

Comments

  1. Oh my dear friend, We too haven had our share, death of our children, poverty, underemployment, poverty, health issues, poverty, hard work, hard work, hard work, but the Savior suffered all of these things before us and for us so I will go on and so will you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen! I'm sorry you've had to go through so much but you are right. We can do all things through Christ who gives us strength!

      Delete

Post a Comment

I love your comments and encouragement! I can't always respond back but do read each comment.