Wednesday Words of Encouragement


James 3:7-12 ~

All kinds of animals, birds, reptiles and sea creatures are being tamed and have been tamed by mankind, but no human being can tame the tongue. It is a restless evil, full of deadly poison.


With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse human beings, who have been made in God’s likeness. Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers and sisters, this should not be. Can both fresh water and salt water flow from the same spring? My brothers and sisters, can a fig tree bear olives, or a grapevine bear figs? Neither can a salt spring produce fresh water.

As I was reading this morning, it occurred to me how sad I must make the Lord sometimes. I'm in full-time ministry and have been a believer for 45 years and yet, my mouth can still be a stumbling block for me. 
These verses in James, chapter 3, should convict us all. How can we really say we love God and yet turn around and criticize and grumble against those He has created? How can we praise God with our lips when those very same lips just said something unkind to another? I was struck by the hypocrisy of that this morning.
My desire is to use my tongue to praise God, but to also build up another person. I want to use my mouth to bring God glory, not dishonor. I want my public "ministry" words to be the same as they are behind closed doors. 
And that should be the desire for all who proclaim Christ. Don't allow hypocrisy to rule you. 1 John tells us that if we say we love God and yet, hate our brother, we are walking in darkness.
Let's walk in the light and practice what we profess with our mouths!

Comments