A Record of My Tears


I'm sitting here on the 5th floor of the Wake Forest Baptist Cancer Center as my mother goes through her chemo treatments. We arrived at 8:30 a.m. and she went through her normal Wednesday routine - labs, radiation, oncology appointment and then was to start her chemo treatment. However, they found that her white blood counts were low and so now she has been admitted for blood transfusions. A long day has just gotten much longer.

I came down to a different floor to do some work for a bit, but as I was sitting here a commotion began at the end of the hall and I heard heart-wrenching sobbing. A young lady is crying uncontrollably while her companions try to console her over the prognosis of a family member. I saw a doctor give her a hug and then he walked by me with a very dejected look and slumped shoulders.

A friend just lost her husband to colon cancer, leaving her and her two children behind. Another friend's husband is going through brain cancer. To be blunt - cancer sucks. 

It tears people's lives apart and leaves the broken pieces of loved ones hearts behind. This hospital is a sad place to be as I see people in various advanced stages of the disease pass me by.

As I listened to the young lady down the hall sob, the only thing I could do was pray that God would heal those wounds. That she would find peace in Christ. That the hole in her heart would be filled by Him. But I also know that those wounds take a very long time to heal. 

I long for the day when cancer no longer exists. When pain and death will cease. When the Lord will permanently erase all sickness and disease. But until then I will pray for those who need a healing touch. I will sit in silence with those who need a comforting presence. I will hug those who need a hug. And I will cry with those who weep.


Psalm 56:8 ~

You Yourself have recorded my wanderings.
Put my tears in Your bottle.
Are they not in Your records?


Comments

  1. That is heartrending Terri. I will be praying for your mother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Barbara. She is doing pretty good and cervical cancer has a good success rate of being curable. My heart goes out to so many who do not have the same results.

      Delete
  2. Heartbreaking stories- praying for your family

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry about your mom and yes going to an oncology suite is hard. Everyone there is fighting for their lives. God is good, and his comfort is with us but this is still hard.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love your comments and encouragement! I can't always respond back but do read each comment.