Let it Snow!





We had our first snowfall yesterday and while I really am not a happy camper by February, I do love it when it first starts. It came quickly and accumulated quite a bit in a short time. I happened to look out the window right before dinner as the sun was setting and everything had a pink tinge to it. Beautiful! We got a few more inches overnight and it has officially put me in the holiday mood.

I started doing some decluttering the other day and cleared out my pantry of jars of things we never got to. Pickles, jams and jellies, and all sorts of other tidbits that were quite a few years old. I dumped the contents, cleaned the jars and stored them away in our shed. I have quite a few bins of canning jars and part of me wants to get rid of some of them but yet, they are expensive and I never know when I'm going to need them.



I started baking some cookies for my consecration service which takes place on the 24th. These went into the freezer yesterday.




The colder temperatures and snow always make me want to start baking and making soups and stews. The other day we had butternut squash soup sprinkled with maple-glazed bacon bits in homemade bread bowls.




I've spent the past few days sewing and getting ready for a town-wide craft show. This event takes place each year and our church is one of the stops. We will have craft vendors, as well as offering free refreshments and a free make-and-take craft for children. This is one event that I look forward to each year.





Emily will be home for Thanksgiving soon and I need to start planning out what we will be having. I told her that she was cooking the meal this year and she said, "Can I microwave the turkey?" :-)  I think I'll stick to cooking the meal.

Actually, she is a wonderful cook and will often call me to ask my advice on something she is making or to send me pictures. The other night, she asked how I make my chili and then sent me this photo. Looks great!



Advent is coming and I always plan out the readings and activites for our church and it's one of my absolute favorite things to do.

Then there is another huge craft show that I will be participating in this year and that is called, Christmas in Mexico. Mexico is the next town over and always takes place the first Saturday in December. There are craft fairs, a trolley to all the different spots, a tree lighting ceremony, Santa, carolers dressed like they did way back when, and all kinds of other activities. Lots of fun!

I also need to put together plans for our annual holiday open house too. That's another favorite of mine. Holidays, food, and friends. The perfect combination!

I'm excited for the holidays and the snow is helping so I say, "Let it snow!"

Comments

  1. You have a lot to plan in the next few weeks, it all goes so quickly.
    I love your snowman apron!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barbara. I thought that fabric was so cute!

      Delete
  2. That bread bowl of soup and the cookies look amazing!

    We had our first significant snowfall yesterday. It definitely puts one in the holiday spirit. I agree with you though by February I am over it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Theresa! I'd be happy with snow for Christmas and then it can stop for the rest of the season. lol

      Delete

Post a Comment

I love your comments and encouragement! I can't always respond back but do read each comment.

Popular posts from this blog

Choosing Not to Kick the Cat

Oh What to Do; I'm Sixty-Two!

Eating to Live