No Empty Promises


Empty promises.  "I promise that I will...."  "I swear that I will...."  "I vow that I will...."   These words pour so quickly off the tongues of people nowadays and yet, are very rarely kept.   People make wedding vows and then get a divorce at the first sign of trouble.  Politicians swear to uphold the laws of the land and then end up convicted of some wrongdoing.  Children promise their parents or parents promise their children and those promises are never kept. We all make resolutions at the start of a new year and usually break them by February.

As Joshua looked back over his life he was able to say, “Now I am about to go the way of all the earth. You know with all your heart and soul that not one of all the good promises the Lord your God gave you has failed. Every promise has been fulfilled; not one has failed." Joshua 23:14 (NIV).  God kept every single one of the promises He made to Israel.  Not one was broken.  We serve a God who does what He says.  He is reliable and trustworthy.  You can count on Him even in a world that is unreliable and untrustworthy.

Trust God.  He keeps His word.  He does not break His promise.  He is faithful to do what He says.  When He makes a vow, you can be sure that it will be fulfilled.  God does not make empty promises.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Choosing Not to Kick the Cat

Oh What to Do; I'm Sixty-Two!

Eating to Live