Wednesday Words of Encouragement



I Samuel 1:24-2:2 ~



When the child was weaned, Hannah took him to the Tabernacle in Shiloh. They brought along a three-year-old bull for the sacrifice and a basket of flour and some wine. After sacrificing the bull, they brought the boy to Eli. “Sir, do you remember me?” Hannah asked. “I am the woman who stood here several years ago praying to the Lord. I asked the Lord to give me this boy, and he has granted my request. Now I am giving him to the Lord, and he will belong to the Lord his whole life.” And they worshiped the Lord there.

Then Hannah prayed:



“My heart rejoices in the Lord!
    The Lord has made me strong.
Now I have an answer for my enemies;
    I rejoice because you rescued me.
No one is holy like the Lord!
    There is no one besides you;
    there is no Rock like our God.



Do you make empty promises? "God, if you will just give me what I want, then I promise to follow you."  "If you will grant my request, then I will serve you, or do this particular thing."  And on and on it goes.  Many people make extravagant vows and promises to the Lord when they are struggling through an issue.  How many carry out what they promised in the heat of the moment?


Hannah was a barren woman and in a culture that valued children, especially boys, this was a shameful thing.  She was regularly mocked by her husband's other wife because of this. Hannah pours out her heart to the Lord and she makes a vow to Him.  If you grant me this desire, I will give this child back to you for your service.  And God grants her request.   And even more amazingly, Hannah honors her promise.


I can't imagine the emotions going through Hannah as she takes her newly weaned little one to Eli, the priest, to leave the child in his care.  I'm sure her arms did not want to let go of him, and her heart felt heavy, yet she remained faithful.  She gave this child back to the Lord.


I'm humbled at Hannah's response.  She prays a prayer of praise.  She worships the Lord.  She recognizes the gift she was given, and joyfully, gives her son back to Him.  


How many of us would do the same?  Have there been times in your life when you pray and ask God for something and make all kinds of promises to Him?  Have you kept those promises?  Have you done so joyfully?


I want to walk in obedience and first, make sure I’m not making rash vows and promises to the Lord. Second, I want to do what I say I’m going to do. But even more importantly, I want to be joyful in honoring my promises. I don’t want to fulfil them begrudgingly. That’s when God will open the floodgates of blessing in my life.


Because Hannah kept her vow, God blessed her with five more children - 3 sons and 2 daughters.  This wonderful, barren woman was blessed with a houseful of children.  


If you tell God you will do something, then do it. He wants our obedience, not our empty promises that we won’t keep.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Choosing Not to Kick the Cat

Oh What to Do; I'm Sixty-Two!

Eating to Live