Identity Crisis


Anxious knots in my stomach, a creased brow, and unwelcome, insecurities buzzed around my head the past couple of days. Many times when this happens it is a sure sign that I'm placing my identity in the wrong thing. I start to rely on myself, my gifts, my work and when things don't go as planned I feel like a failure. When I don't get the results I expected I spiral down to a place of self-recrimination.

I lose confidence because I start relying on others' opinions, affirmations and words rather on keeping my focus on the Lord. The insecurity rollercoaster is a scary ride because no matter how much affirmation you get, one word of critique will plunge you down into the depths.

But as I open God's word I am reminded that my identity is in Christ. My value is in what He says about me. My successes or failures are meaningless in the light of His love. My "success" isn't up to me nor does it validate my life. My "failure" isn't a reflection of who I am as a child of God. What I do is absolutely meaningless. Who Christ says I am is what brings value to my life. 


God has given us all a task to do but nowhere does it say that our value is based on the results. Our identity is in Christ and in Him alone and that, my friends, is good news for us all!

Ephesians 2:8-10 ~



For you are saved by grace through faith, and this is not from yourselves; it is God’s gift—not from works, so that no one can boast. For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared ahead of time for us to do.


Comments

Post a Comment

I love your comments and encouragement! I can't always respond back but do read each comment.