Making the Right Choice in This Moment


"Why did I share that?" "Who is going to run this ministry?" "I need to pick up hay for the rabbit." "What if xyz happens?" "Then what we will do?"

I was sitting and trying to read my Bible this morning but my thoughts kept wandering. I was reflecting on my day in church yesterday, thinking about a family situation, mulling over what I should do today, regretting something I said, and on and on it went.

Each time I would try to focus but those thoughts and concerns kept buzzing back. I probably read two chapters without really reading them. Then my eyes and mind finally focused on the words on the page. 

Luke 10:38-42 ~

While they were traveling, he entered a village, and a woman named Martha welcomed him into her home. She had a sister named Mary, who also sat at the Lord’s feet and was listening to what he said. But Martha was distracted by her many tasks, and she came up and asked, “Lord, don’t you care that my sister has left me to serve alone? So tell her to give me a hand.”
The Lord answered her, “Martha, Martha, you are worried and upset about many things, but one thing is necessary. Mary has made the right choice, and it will not be taken away from her.”
I can relate to Martha at times. So often, I get busy with "busy work" and forget the importance of sitting and hearing from God.


The work will always be there. I'm not saying we should sit and meditate all day. There is always something to add to my to-do list. Always a ministry to get involved with. Always something to be concerned about. But I only have this moment in time to hear what the Lord is trying to say to me. And I want to make the most of it.

Because if I allow myself to be distracted by my "to-dos" I'll miss the "ta-dah!" that God is trying to teach me. If I keep being pulled away, then some of these cares will never be taken care of because God is standing there waiting for me to hand them over to Him. But I keep holding on to them and turning them over and over in my mind.

So for this moment and this day, I want to zero in on what God is trying to say to me. I don't want to miss it by being so worried about the many "things" in my life. Because the truth is God already knows these things and He already has the outcome under His control. But He is waiting for me to allow Him to work.

Help me to make the right choice in this moment, Lord.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Choosing Not to Kick the Cat

Oh What to Do; I'm Sixty-Two!

Eating to Live